Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worms - dont worry this is just a question.....

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ad_1980, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

nothing happened.

Except i was on walk with Mika today and we came across lots of sluggy wormy things, which of course would come after a shower of rain....i had to keep a close eye on Mika because being a puppy he thinks anything infront of him is a toy and good to eat!

but if something did happen, like if he ate one.....what would happen? What would i have to do if i saw him eat one or something?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Probably nothing.

Stomach acids will kill most things.

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

So he woudl die?!

Oh i hope he never catches a worm or slug or anything!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No!!

His stomach acids would kill whatever he ate. Dogs can eat all manner of creepy crawlies with no affect on their health.

Slugs and snails can cause lungworm, so you need to be careful with those. I doubt a worm would cause any harm at all.

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

oh god nonnie you scared me!

Well so far he hasn't managed to eat anything gross like a slug or worm....

Although he does like eating insects - silly git.

Thanks for the answer Nonnie.

6. No i dont think he would die. Nothing would probably happen. Best thing you can teach your dog is the leave it command so that whenever your dog tries to pick up/eat something it shouldnt it will leave it on your command. many things are dangerous for dogs to pick up and eat including some plants some fruits and chocolate but these worms i dont think you would have a problem with. Snails are not a good thing for dogs to eat as if i remember correctly they can get heartworm from them

7. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

OK i beg you to take him and teach him the leave command - but bring him back of course lol

He knows the command he just doesn't abide by it silly pup!

He thinks everything is a toy. I'm hoping this phase ends soon lol!

8. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I dont think it will harm him, just watch him for odd behavior, keep him away from slugs and snails and these are bad for them and most plants aswell. mine are always eating grass and leaves and little ants and spiders stupid things play with the insects first then when they are fed up with chasing them around the floor they eat them. yuk yuk. stamp my foot on them.....The insects not the dogs lololol

9. MadeleineI

MadeleineI PetForums Newbie

Nonnie's advice is excellent.
    Dogs will eat anything. They have cast iron stomach's. As long as it's natural, it's fine. It's the commercial pet food that does the damage.
    Worms and creepy crawlies are a problem for you, but not your dog.
    Best Dog Health

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice