UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post on my first pup so I have a lot to learn- forgive me!

I have a pup, I've had for 3 weeks now. He's a border terrier and 13weeks old.

For the last day he's seemed constipated then today when he pooped I found he had what appears to be roundworm. These were in his poop.
He's been treated for worms and was due for re-worming last week, we hadnt got it done stupidly but never knew a week would make a difference :blushing:

So after seeing these things in his poop I rushed out for some wormer which was Bob Martin worming granuels as its all they had.

Since then I've googled and found this is ineffective- my vets is shut so I cant ask them until Monday, now I'm paranoid it isnt going to work?
Should I/Can I give him something better?
I dont know I can stomach clearingup more worms, plus I have two children so Im worried about it catching to them.

Any advice? Can I re worm? How long until I can expect not to find them in his stools?

Thanks all for your help :)

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
NEVER NEVER NEVER use Bob Martin products. Just have a google and you will see many horror stories including sudden death.

You will need to wait at least a week before worming him again. Please use something obtained from the vets.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Don't worry! Just get to the vets on Moday. the dog will be fine. Be careful clearing up the poo. Make sure you dispose of it (you can put it in your domesic bin) and that all the family wash their hands after touching to dog and before eating. If you have kids, I'd make then scrub their nails before eating too. Not too vigorously, though! No need to draw blood!

Pup will be fine so long as you see your vet.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi all, first post on my first pup so I have a lot to learn- forgive me!

I have a pup, I've had for 3 weeks now. He's a border terrier and 13weeks old.

For the last day he's seemed constipated then today when he pooped I found he had what appears to be roundworm. These were in his poop.
He's been treated for worms and was due for re-worming last week, we hadnt got it done stupidly but never knew a week would make a difference :blushing:

So after seeing these things in his poop I rushed out for some wormer which was Bob Martin worming granuels as its all they had.

Since then I've googled and found this is ineffective- my vets is shut so I cant ask them until Monday, now I'm paranoid it isnt going to work?
Should I/Can I give him something better?
I dont know I can stomach clearingup more worms, plus I have two children so Im worried about it catching to them.

Any advice? Can I re worm? How long until I can expect not to find them in his stools?

Thanks all for your help :)
Have you already given him the bob martin wormer already? If so you will know if its working they will likely come out dead in his motions.

Sounds like he has a bad load, pups should have started worming at 2 weeks old although some breeders leave it a weelk or two later until weaning, they then need worming every 2/3 weeks up to 12 weeks old, then monthly up to 6 months and then from 6mths you can do them as adults.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I was tempted to go to a pharmacy tomorrow and see what else I could find- my neighbour told me sainsburys pharmacy has good dog wormers, so I can wait until monday?

I disinfected the kids hands and the floors, crossing my fingers im not too late.

If he's pooing them out, does it mean its a really bad infestation?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you already given him the bob martin wormer already? If so you will know if its working they will likely come out dead in his motions.

Sounds like he has a bad load, pups should have started worming at 2 weeks old although some breeders leave it a weelk or two later until weaning, they then need worming every 2/3 weeks up to 12 weeks old, then monthly up to 6 months and then from 6mths you can do them as adults.
I gave it to him tonight :-(
I panicked and rushed out, it was all that I could see for sale in the supermarket.
He was treated as a pup, he's 13 weeks and was due to be re-treated this week just gone.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Thanks, I was tempted to go to a pharmacy tomorrow and see what else I could find- my neighbour told me sainsburys pharmacy has good dog wormers, so I can wait until monday?

I disinfected the kids hands and the floors, crossing my fingers im not too late.

If he's pooing them out, does it mean its a really bad infestation?
Usually if they are visible in the poop or they sick up a load then its usually a sign of bad infection. If they look like cooked spaghetti then they are likely roundworms they are the most common ones, Its probably a sign that Mum and pups were not wormed properly, even then though pregnancy can wake up dormant worms that have been missed and they are then passed via the placenta and as larva in the mums milk. I would make sure you keep up the worming programme now to make sure they are all eradicated. Pups with worms usually have round pot bellies too, and it often causes loose motions and diarrhoea and even vomitting in some pups.

Its important to weigh him and get an accurate weight too, as wormers are worked out an a weight to amount ratio.

The eggs are the problem, they are passed out in the faeces of infected dogs, and then if ingested they can re-infect. They can live in the soil though for a long time as they have a hard shell, so you need to make sure of really good clean up where he has pooped.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I gave it to him tonight :-(
I panicked and rushed out, it was all that I could see for sale in the supermarket.
He was treated as a pup, he's 13 weeks and was due to be re-treated this week just gone.
Just keep an eye on him, you should as said if it has worked see them coming out dead in the next few poops and then stops. I would then keep up the worming regime religiously then to make sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it looks to me like roundworm, He's not got a pot belly at all- skinnier if anything.

He does have a preference for eating slugs/snails/worms which may not help?

He mostly poos outside, are we still likely to get lots of eggs indoors?

I will be religious with this now- its not something i ever wish to experience again!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Please, please, please keep an eye on him while he's outside if he likes to eat slugs etc., they can carry lungworm which if not treated can be fatal - I know someone who lost a puppy to this earlier in the year :(

I don't mean to frighten you but definitely mention the bug-eating habits to your vet.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
it looks to me like roundworm, He's not got a pot belly at all- skinnier if anything.

He does have a preference for eating slugs/snails/worms which may not help?

He mostly poos outside, are we still likely to get lots of eggs indoors?

I will be religious with this now- its not something i ever wish to experience again!

Thanks
If he eats slugs and snails, then I would pop him along to the vet, tell them and get your wormer from there. Slugs and snails can carry something called Lungworm as well. There are wormers that as well as doing the most common intestinal wormers in the UK also do lungworm as well. Panacur paste does lungworm as a treatment, if you are just using it for worms you do half adult dose for 3 consequetive days and then repeat in its either 2 or 3 weeks, for lungworm though you have to do it for I think 7 days. There are other veterinary only wormers too Milbemax does lungworm as well.

You can actually buy Panacur paste on line. but the Milbemax you have to either have a prescription to buy it one line or get it from the vet. Try to prevent him eating slugs and snails as much as you can. Some areas are worse then others for lungworm, but if he should eat a slug or snail thats infected he can catch it and if left it can be very serious.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
and don't use disinfectant on the kids hands. That's much too rough and doesn't actually work any better than good old hot (not too hot!) water and soap. Don't forget the nails. Eggs can get under them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankyou I had no idea, I will indeed mention it to the vet. I do stop him eating anything when possible outside- mainly because it all disgusts me! I'll make sure to tell my husband this too so he doesnt allow it either.
Thanks

·
Sois pas chiant, chéri.
12,133 Posts
The temperature of water used to wash hands makes zero difference, it's the physical removal of germs/bacteria that matters, so a thorough wash, not forgetting the backs of the hands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.