Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worms and poo...

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ted&Sarah, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Ted&Sarah

Ted&Sarah PetForums Junior

Sorry this is rather gross....

My 4 month old puppy had soft poo, turns out it is worms. He was given stronghold by the vet a month ago that was suppose to prevent worms as well but it obviously didn't work!

His soft poo had been on and off ever since we collected him but were told we didn't need to give an oral wormer as well as the stronghold. Anyway, he went to the vets on Monday and was given Panacur and has been pooping roundworms ever since. One was huge (about 6 inches):eek:hmy: the others not so big.

Also in his poo there are hundreds of white flecks. I know that tapeworms are excreted looking like grains of rice, but the only way I can describe these are like grains of rice but much much smaller. They are about 1mm long and quite thin, I haven't seen any moving. Has anyone else seen this in their dog's poo or know what they are?

I have been told they maybe the roundworm larvae, but I thought these were too small to see with the naked eye?

2. lady_r0gue

lady_r0gue PetForums Senior

Yep, what you can see is most likely the roundworm larvae - its the eggs that are usually invisible. And don't worry- your pup's just getting rid of them all now :D

3. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

At 4 months old your pup should be wormed regular ie: every 4 weeks until around 12 month old & then every 3 months thereafter hth...:)

4. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

U cannot give anything to prevent worms.
    You must worm periodically in order to kill any infestations ur dog/cat may have.
    Remember the gut is a long tube which is continually moving stuff through so any wormers would only kill any adult worms at the time u wormed.
    Also weigh ur pets as its far better to worm accurately than guess and underdose and pos waste time and money to boot.

5. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

I am very confused by all these posts about worms

I know that puppies have a tendancy to have worms in that they are in the gut transmitted from the bitch

My confusion lies in the fact that all the advice is to worm the bitch and then worm the pups to prevent them. I followed this with my bitch pups and I always worm my dogs so to date I have never had worms in the dogs as far as I am aware

So why are so many people reporting that their puppies have worms when it is so easy to prevent?

Not getting at any one in particular just curious

6. Ted&Sarah

Ted&Sarah PetForums Junior

I suspect in our case he wasn't properly wormed by the breeder (have had other probs) but we were told he was, so now it's worming time again there are loads!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice