Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worming

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ka36, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Ka36

Ka36 PetForums Newbie

When I visited a dog and cat rescue centre in Greece, I could see that a lot of the animals had worms - multiple different types of worms which I could see. I’m not sure of the exact types, I suspect roundworm and tapeworm are the main ones I saw, but there may also be hookworm and whipworm, I don’t know! My question is what is the best brand/form (UK) of worm treatment for a dog and cat to treat multiple types of worm? I also have to take into consideration that there are 380 dogs and 100 cats to be treated so the treatment can’t be very expensive and for cats it is difficult to treat them all with tablets compared to spot-on. If anyone also knows good (cheaper) flea treatments then that would also be helpful. I would like to buy treatments and take them next time I visit. Thank you.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The cheap over-the-counter in supermarkets wormers are rubbish, so don't bother with them. Ivermectin or Drontal for dogs would be good, but NOT cheap and you'd have to know the weights of the animals to be treated to know how many/which size to buy. Panucur liquid is good and can be adapted per ml to the weight of each dog. It does roundworm, tapeworm and lungworm but doesn't say about hook worms or whip worms as it's packaged for the UK and we don't have them here.
    I'd be looking at putting together some form of crowd funding to do the job properly.

Ka36 likes this.
  3. Ka36

Ka36 PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much for this advice, I think I would opt for Drontal and adapt the number of tablets according to weight. I'd fundraise to buy enough to do all of the dogs at once. The main issue is that I will have no way of weighing the dogs, do you have any suggestions about how to know how many tablets to give? There's the issue of either giving too little and the treatment not working, or giving too much which could cause a possible overdose? The rescue doesn't have medical supplies, scales, weights, etc and it would be impossible to weigh all of the dogs at the vets due to distance and number of dogs.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The only way to worm safely is by the dog's weight. A basket and luggage scales should do for most, just not the very big ones.

Ka36 and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice