Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worming

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jet, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jet

Jet PetForums Junior

Hi
    I am embarrassed to ask as I look after my cats so well but am really, really not sure how often to worm them.
    They are both 1yrs old, indoor cats and an exotic and a persian. I have used the little tube thing before on the back of the neck - does anyone recommend anything different.

thanks

2. catbird8

catbird8 PetForums Member

Don't be embarrassed!!
    I use Drontal. It is a tablet which you give every 3 months. There is also Milbemax again a tablet every 3 months(can only get this with prescription)
    Or if you kitties dont take tablets too well you can buy a Bob Matin spot on which you put on the back of their neck like flea treatments.
    Hope this helps:thumbup:

3. LisaLQ

LisaLQ PetForums Senior

I'm not 100% sure about the Bob Martin one, pet shop treatments are usually very ineffective and at worst quite harmful. Apart from Drontal, which I think you can get in some pet shops now?

4. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

By the tube thingies, do you mean Profender? That's a very good de-wormer and you need to de-worm you cats at least 4 times a year.
    I've been using Milbemax (also 4 times a year) and Profender for 2 of my cats who won't take pills.
    Drontal is really good as well, but my cats take the Milbemax much better.

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Indoor cats usually do not need to be dewormed, once they have been deemed free of parasites. :)

For informational purposes: I would not recommend using any sort of OTC treatment (and have read bad things about the bob martin stuff). Drontal, or the spot on given by your vet, I think it is called Profender, are safe and effective.

#5 lorilu, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

7. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I would still de-worm them since you never know you're completely free of fleas. You can take them in with you so easily, they can even jump in themselves.
    Maybe twice a year would be enough for a complete indoor cat, but I would definitely de-worm.

8. LisaLQ

LisaLQ PetForums Senior

I'll still be worming my two, unless I'm sure there are no more ways worms can be brought in, which I'm not.

9. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

The treatments for the two are different things entirely. A wormer probably won't treat for fleas and vice versa (although avermectins do roundworms and fleas but not tapeworms and flatworms).
    If you are don't want to shove chemicals down them unnecessarily you can send off poo samples to be checked for eggs and if they are positive then you can worm them. That's what I do. It's a bit more of a hassle though because you need samples on 3 consecutive days usually.

10. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

As far as I was aware, the issue is not the fleas themselves - but that fleas can carry worm eggs, and thus can potentially give your pet worms.
    So if you pet has any chance of getting bitten by a flea, he may get worms as a result.

11. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

Ah gotcha, I was confused and wondering why someone would use a flea treatment to treat worms (rather than thinking of the prevention aspect).

12. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

Of course they're different, never said they weren't :lol:
    I used to be a veterinary nurse and worked in an animal shelter so I know these things, thanks :p

13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Actually Revolution (called Stronghold in the UK) does treat fleas and some other parasites: fleas, ear mites, hookworm,and roundworm . . It also protects against heartworm.

Not tape worm though. That you need drontal or profender for.

Sorcha, I have read the same thing as you recommend, that even indoor cats should be treated for worms, and it is good advice, however I have never had a parasite problem with my indoor cats, and do not treat for worms.

My cats are considered indoor, even though I do take them out in a fenced in yard, harnessed and supervised. I do have a fecal check done on each cat annually, simply because I like to be thorough and proactive with my cats' health care. None of them past or current have ever had any kind of parasite, including fleas.

Lucky me, eh? :D

14. LisaLQ

LisaLQ PetForums Senior

Very!

Treating for fleas will only lower their risks of one kind of worm. Going out in the garden means they're not indoor anyway, and if foxes, other cats, hedgehogs etc can get in, it's still very possible that they could pick up both fleas and worms, even if they dont come into direct contact with the animals themselves.

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I'd rather worm now and again just to be safe.

15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

They could. But they haven't. :) Since all are special needs I prefer not to use anything unless it is necessary. The clean fecal each year is enough for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice