Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worming

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Callie, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Know I am not ready to do this til 2 weeks but was just wondering........

Amber was wormed when she came into season on Drontal tabs.
    She was then put on panacur on day 40 and finished it yesterday(even tho she never got full dosage as a few days she just refused any food and it was granulated to be added to food).
    Will it be ok to treat pups at 2 weeks with drontal puppy syrup and do I have to worm Amber again.

Btw took Amber to vet yesterday and all seems well with her and pups.They are all gaining weight and eating well.
    Vet is giving me a calcium and vitamin supplement just as a precaution because her eating was so bad before whelping the pups although she is eating the puppy food well now. Will get more pics soon .....as they are getting well photographed!!:thumbup:

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Personally I worm my bitches before mating and then don't worm them until the litter have finished feeding.

Talk to your vet about what best to use - I always use Panacur paste which is very easy to administer, and through a bit of trial and error and listening to other breeders - I tend now to worm at 3, 5 and 7 weeks (always after feeding) - as it seems to have less of a stressful effect on their tums.

Do talk to your vet though and see what they recommend

PS - If you decide to go down the Panacur paste route, you can buy it online cheaper than from the vets

3. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

I wormed my bitch from day 40 of pregnancy to 2 days post whelp with panacur liquid. Then I wormed the bitch and the pups when the pups were 2 and 5 weeks old (pups were still drinking mums milk until 6 weeks old) with panacur liquid, I gave the new owner of the pup that was taken a day before she was 8 weeks old (Friday) enough panacur wormer to worm her over the bank holiday weekend (Saturday - Monday) and I wormed the other pups Friday, Saturday, Sunday (2nd pup was collected by their new owner Sunday).

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I use panacur liquid or paste on
    2 weeks for 3 days,
    on 5 weeks for 3 days,
    and on 7 weeks 4 days for 3 days (so they are finished on the 8th week ready for new homes)

ETA I always worm with panacur for day 40 to day 2 post whelp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice