Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

worming tablets

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by hayleyb, Aug 7, 2009.

1. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

how easy is it to administer these? i have syrup at the min but its more kittens and sheldon is now 1 year old.

wat is the best type of worming treatment, he does not like his mouth bein played with

2. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

I use Drontal on my 2. Mickey will eat it out of my hand but for Mazie my OH holds her and I just open her mouth and put the tablet as far back as I can and gently rub her throat so that she swallows!

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

just a quick question still with worming. i bought some syrup for Sheldon which is for kittens. he's jst a year old would this still be ok for him?

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I use tablets. Milbemax from the vets now, and i just wrap my cats in a towel to prevent claws and kicking! And it is pretty easy to administer! I open their mouth and make sure it is at the back and they swallow as a reflex! I haven't had a problem since!

In regards to the kitten treatment...i think this should only be used 12 months old and under...... but i can't be 100%

5. TabbyRoad

TabbyRoad Banned

How to Give A Cat A Pill

1. Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws tightly with left hand, force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard, and close door on to neck, to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whisky compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw Tee shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Call fire department to retrieve the damn cat from across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie the little *******'s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy-duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of filet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Consume remainder of scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for RSPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

How To Give A Dog A Pill

1. Wrap it in bacon.

2. Toss it in the air.

6. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

:D LOL, that would be funny if it wasn't so painfully true!

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Ha!

Too true!

try crushing it in a little bit of butter (may work). Other way is to hold cat, squeeze cats cheeks to open mouth pop pill in, and stroke neck to ensure cat swallows. (didn't work for me - vet done it no problem).

Good luck.

8. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

butter is a dairy product so is this safe for him?

9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

One little knob will be fine I am sure. :)

10. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

no probs i think he sneaked abit off my butter knife before and he liked it so i shall try that

thankyou

11. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

I use Panacur powder as recommended by my vet. Put it in the fridge overnight to get rid of the smell and it takes the taste away too, then put it onto wet food, kitty is none the wiser ;)

xx

12. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

panacur paste is easy to use,it comes in a plastic syringe which you put into the corner of the mouth and depress plunger,easy!!!
    worming syrup is useless,it only treats roundworms,and if its sherleys its crap!!
    panacur can be used from 2 weeks of age:)

13. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

that it is. do you think he will be alrite even tho this is all he's had? he's due another dose in 2 weeks time so iill see if i can get some of that paste

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice