Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worming tablets

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Tetley&Kenco, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Tetley&Kenco

Tetley&Kenco PetForums Member

Which worming tablets do you use? And how do you get your cats to eat them?!?!!

I hid Kenco’s in a small bit of cheese (I know, not good for cats, but better a tiny bit of cheese every 3 months than worms)

Tetley I couldn’t hide it in anything! He spat it out from everything! I tried to just put it in his mouth and he was just spitting it out and scratching me!

How do you manage to get it in?! The ones I bought were pretty big so I tried to give it in halves, but the halves were still bigger than the one the vets gave me last time

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

3. Heather***

Heather*** PetForums Junior

I've done my two with panacur granules, which I got from [email protected] They were from the locked cabinet, but surprisingly inexpensive, at about £7.50 for a box of 3 sachets (each sachet contains enough for two doses or two cats). I made sure they were hungry prior to giving it, mixed it in with a good sized sloppy meal, and fortunately they gobbled it up. I just hope I get as lucky next time!
    I believe panacur is also available as an oral suspension or paste.
    Prior to adopting my first cat she had just been done with broadline all in one flea/worm etc, which is a spot on, but prescription only. As she's an indoor cat, it seemed a bit over the top to carry on with that, but would reconsider it if I had trouble getting either to take oral wormer in future.
    I think, but am not absolutely sure, that the panacur is also effective against lungworm.

Edit - just re read the leaflet, and the dosage and directions differ for cats under 6 months - i'm not sure if this is the case for you.
    Edit 2 - apparently there are currently no licensed products effective against feline lungworm in the uk - I was probably thinking about dogs, and possibly a different product.

#3 Heather***, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. OrientalSlave

I was told to dose mine with panacur against possible lungworm. I've tried the paste & liquid in the paste & ended up wearing some of it, and it stains. However granules were gobbled up in wet food. I made sure to put it in food I knew they really liked. My vet encouraged me to make sure I didn't underdose. I got them online, cheaper then [email protected]

Heather*** likes this.
  5. Heather***

Heather*** PetForums Junior

I'm glad to hear of someone else using it, as after I bought it, I searched it here and it seemed like noone else used it. Also good to hear it's been recommended to you against lungworm - I've just done a little reading, and it seems that while nothing is guaranteed against it in cats, some wormers are thought to be potentially more effective than others (my second cat goes out, and I find snails and slugs in his outside shelter all the time, not to mention the water bowl outside.)

6. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Try Easy pill, or Pill Pockets. Mold a tiny piece around the pill to hide it then give as a treat.

7. Tetley&Kenco

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I popped in to pets at home today and they gave me a spot on wormer. Any idea if it’s any good?!

If not I’ll start working through your suggestions! I think I trust pills more than spot-on to be honest!

8. OrientalSlave

What spot-on is it?

9. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Drontal do spot on. I have just given some to a couple of street cats in Turkey who visit us when we are over. it is easy and they did not suffer any side effects.

10. Tetley&Kenco

Yes it’s drontal

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice