Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worming Puppies

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by reddogs, Jul 21, 2009.

1. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

In the past we have used Panacur favourites for worming our puppies once they are 12 weeks + until they are of a weight that they can take drontal

But it would appear that these are no longer available and certainly our vet isn't selling them.

They have Drontal and Milbemax

So has anyone any idea if Drontal Plus tablets are safe for puppies that are under 10kgs

or what would you use - don't say the liquid I am not doing that anymore 6 puppies for 3 days 3 times just about killed me :smilewinkgrin:

2. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

drontal is safe in dogs 12 weeks or older.
    If a lot less than 10kg half the pills or use the cat ones.

3. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I'm using Milbemax for our 14 week old Bichon and she's under 10kg.
    That reminds me she's due to be wormed today.:eek:

4. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

You really should NOT use cat wormers on puppies!!( I am sure the strength is different!!)

Drontal tablets can be given to puppies under 12 weeks of age, at the practice i worked at we used to give drontal to pups from around 5/6 weeks old, just reduce the tablet according to weight,(half tablet for 5kg, quarter tablet for 2.5kg and so on!) We have cut them into eighths before when required!
    Logan weighed 7.2kg when we got him and was 2days short of 8weeks and our vet told us to give him one tablet and he is fine, he is wormed monthly with drontal.

Your other option is panacur granules on the food but that can be extra work as you have to feed each pup seperately and from what i remember that is for 3 days again!

5. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

The only difference with drontal cat is that it is one per 4 kg rather than one per 10 which is the standard dog tablet.
    The cat ones are excellent when dosing toy breeds who are often much smaller so a more accurate dose can be given.

6. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

drontal puppy liquid is one dose not 3 as in pannacure ,i find it easy to use

7. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I saw the vet yesterday and he gave me Drontal Plus for my puppy. He is 7wks 5 days old, weighs 5.5kg and is to be given 1/2 a tablet.

8. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Oh ok i wasn't sure i thought they were different strengths within the tablet for cats and dogs! I send my apologies! :blushing:

9. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

Hi ... drontal plus is safe on puppies under 12 weeks...on the box it now it goes by their weight....puppies and small dogs...2kg =1/4 tablet
    3-5 kg = 1/2 tablet
    6-10 kg = 1 tablet

checked with Vet and is totally fine

10. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Milbemax is a good wormer too... i have always used it for my pups & then drontal for my adults...:)

11. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

We sell panacur paste at our work :O
    and im sure they do at manor pharmacy too? xx

12. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I saw Granuals in the pet store yesturday and two people bought them saying they were easier to give to puppies of the smaller type. dont know if this is any help

13. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Thanks everyone

It appears that there is a problem with one of the ingredients in Panacur favourites which is why they aren't around at the moment.

I am going to go with the Drontal as I haven't had a problem with my other dogs on it just need to break the tablet up small enough :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice