Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worming my Kitties

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by KirstyLouise, Mar 24, 2011.

1. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

Hi Guys

Had ollie and dexter since four months old from the RSPCA and they wormed they had already been wormed. they are getting spayed next month and had all there jabs was wondering when they will need re worming and how often and where i get it done.

There in pefect health at the min eating and pooping lots

Thanks

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Are they indoor or outdoor cats? I think this will be relevant to worming, and I assume outdoor cats need worming more often.

My vet requires my kittens to be wormed once a month until 6 months and then I am not sure after that. As mine are indoor I dont think I will be worming them that often afterwards.

One thing I will say is my vet always weighs my kittens before worming so I assume that weight affects the dose so, me, being a wimp, let the vet give me the dose.

3. KirstyLouise

Hiya Thanks for for reply they are only nearly five months old and so are indoor cats until about 6/7 months old then ill allow them outside.

4. gloworm*mushroom

Im not sure if worming every month is a general thing people do, but my vets require it. I was told indoor cats are unlikely to get worms but they can catch them from dirt on shoes etc coming in from outside.

I am sure someone more expert will come along to advise you!

5. KirstyLouise

Shoes are put away and im hoovering and cleaning everyday to keep it clean for the kittens they have been wormed once i know just needa know when to do it again and if there are any signs i should look for ?

6. gloworm*mushroom

A big fat swollen belly can be one sign! (though mine has one after eating, and he's been to the vet and is wormed and fine, hes just a fatty at the mo!)

Sometimes you can see the worms in the poo as well, but if they are higher up in the digestional tract they can be digested along with the food and there would be no worms in the poo. Yummy!

I assume you will go for some sort of pre neuter check up thing. I would imagine they would check them over there and make sure all was well in that department! :D

7. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Hi KirstyLouise...i get Honey and Indy wormed and flead every 4 wks :)

I normally get the vet to do it ...but have got some advocate from vet yesterday ..so will be doing it myself from now on x

8. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

We were told once every month for the first six months and after that once every three months. That's what we've decided to stick to. We get it done at the vets, works out cheaper than buying anything over the counter :)

9. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

My vet prefers all domestic cats indoor or out to be wormed and flead once a month

Steve

10. gobubbles

gobubbles PetForums Junior

My vet said once every 3 months unless there are problems.

A tip - I spent a very stressful evening trying to get Buffy to swallow a Drontal tablet. I gave up, and then the next morning I sprinkled it on her food instead and she gulped it all down no problem!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice