Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worming/Flea Treatment

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lauz_1982, Jun 12, 2010.

1. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Ok so I think I'm doing the right thing buying the frontline flea stuff and Getting Mac wormed every month at the vets but then I think well it costs a lot at the vet and I could buy those tablets without having to take him in every time right? (Do not grudge the money but every little helps right?!)

Anyway Is Frontline ok?

I seen a post on here about Advantix. Is that better?

As for worming I was thinking Drontal from reading other posts but see that it doesn't cover lungworm and I've seen a few slugs/snails in the garden that I get rid of before Mac sees them. I know fox poo and other things carry it too. I found someone mentioned Advocate but that it ruined their sofa (nikkix5) so wary of using that now! How long does it take to dry before being safe? Or is there something else that prevents lungworm? A quick search on google brought up info about panacur being used for it but only in certain dosages? Not sure - I'm easily confused!

Also how often do you worm your dog and use flea treatments? I take Mac to the vet every month for getting wormed and the frontline every 8 weeks? (It says 6 to 8 weeks but I do 8 weeks). Is it only until he's 12 months that it's every month then every 3 months after or have I misunderstood that?

Sorry for all the questions and If what I've said doesn't make sense! I'm quite tired but wanted to post before I go to bed!

Laura :)

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hi Laura,

Just to throw a spanner in the works - sorry, dont want to confuse you. But I have ordered some diatomacious earth and am now going to use that for all my doggies pests. Ordered mine from ebay - there's a fair bit of info. Also found this video

YouTube - Diatomaceous Earth---Food Graden the ad.

I get confused with what's best to use and concerned with the amount of chemicals it means giving them so thought I would give it a try.

Hope someone comes along soon to give you the advice you need. :thumbup:

3. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

lol! That has confused me (easily done though!).

I'll check it out though - Thanks.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Ooops sorry :(

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I use Advocate for flea and worming treatment. It covers lungworm, which is the only reason why I am still using it. It is expensive, needs to be applied every month (which I think is too much IMO), but it covers lungworm which is the main parasite I'm worried about, as we get a lot of slugs and snails around here, leaving their trails which can transmit lungworm if the dog comes into contact with their trail, and I just don't want to risk it.

6. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Thats the reason I'm going to give diatomacious earth a try. It's finely ground fossils so totally organic and no drugs. Will kill all worms inc. lungworm (which is my prime concern too). I dont want to administer monthly and then something else to cover tape if I can avoid it.

It kills fleas if you powder their coat by the same principle that it kills internal worms. All garden pests can be dealt with by it, inc the slugs that cause the problem in the first place. From us, it lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, enhances skin, hair and nails along with detoxing the colon.

I'm hoping the company I used for my horse worm counts do canine ones and will be sending them a sample from Heidi to see if it's any good.

7. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

lol! Don't worry - easily done! :D

I've seen a few round here and didn't realise that the 'normal' stuff he's been getting doesn't cover him! Bit scary really. He will eat anything too so I've been hunting for slugs and snails to get rid of them before he gets them!

I haven't watched that video yet - we've been out all day. Am I right in thinking that the diatomacious earth covers worms and fleas and that alone would be enough to protect against everything? Where did you get it? How do you use it?

8. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I haven't watched that video yet - we've been out all day. Am I right in thinking that the diatomacious earth covers worms and fleas and that alone would be enough to protect against everything? Where did you get it? How do you use it?

From what I can gather, it does all worms internally and you rub the powder into their coat to do fleas.(I'm thinking of mixing it with water and spraying).

I did lots of googling when I first heard about it and was very dubious until I found some on ebay with a big write up(also emailed the seller and got lots of help). It was the video that sealed it for me.

Hope this helps :thumbup:

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Just thought I would mention that a breeder told me they bath all their dogs in 50/50 pantene 2 in 1 and dettol. Leaves the coat lovely and never a problem with fleas. I have been bathng Heidi in it for about 6 months and no fleas at all. After this bath, I found a couple of small ones dead on her tum!.

I only bathe her once every month/6 weeks

10. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i'm using prac-tic from the vets atm

however looking at swapping onto billy no mates from CSJ as it's a herbal remedy, no nasty chemicals

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice