Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worming & Flea Treatment

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SEVEN_PETS, Jun 2, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Hiya

I just want to ask a few questions about worming and fleas:

1. Do you need to treat for fleas if you know your dog doesn't have them?

2. How often should you worm your dog?

3. Is Advocate the only wormer that attacks lungworm?

4. Is a pill form better than a spot-on treatment?

I don't really want to use advocate anymore cos of a poster on here who put advocate on her dog and it melted her sofa. :eek: Also, it states that it needs to be applied ONCE a MONTH. That to me is way too often. I'm thinking more 3-4 times a year, not 12 times a year. Ollie doesn't have fleas, so I have no idea why we need to treat him if he hasn't got them.

2. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Im prob being really blonde here lol - but how did it melt her sofa!?

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

4. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Its alright iv found it!

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Watching with interest.

Mine is way over due to be treated for fleas but as she hasnt got any - I've not bothered.

She has a passion for slugs so the lungworm question is of interest to me as well. I think panacur can be used for lungworm but rather than a single dose, it has to be given over a few days?

6. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I personally think its unneccessary to use a flea treatment if there are no fleas.Why use chemicals when they are not needed?
    Worming should be done on a regular basis(as per requirements for YOUR dog and its lifestyle/health),for the health of the dog,family and those around.

7. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I have 7 cats and 2 dogs so the likelihood of there being fleas in my house is quite high so I do treat mine regularly - and I treat the house too! I use Effipro - not sure if anyone's got any thoughts on that .

Meg however has an itchy skin and is always scratching!

Worming I use Panacur as it covers both cats and dogs .... I sometimes perhaps overkill the flea thing as I have had a flea infestation before and it's not nice!

C X

8. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

im planning on using advocate soon on my pup, but i wont be reapplying it every month. i dont want to pile lots of things onto my puppys system. i might be lucky that i have never had a dog with flea or worms, but i sometimes find it a bit unneccessary having to treat them that often!

9. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

Flea treatment we need to use, as we have loads of foxes round here...
    And worming they are due theirs again, so will be getting them either monday or the week after when we are back at the vets.

Regarding the flea products, I'm seriously considering using Billy No Mates! - CSJ Herbs for Dogs - CSJK9 Ltd.

10. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I dont flea treat my dogs have always gotten garlic tabs, and to date I can honestly say never saw a flea on any of them, I posted on the other thread about DE and have been told this is good for lungworm too so may go down that rout. I hate the thought of putting such strong chemicals onto my dog and the possible long term problems they may cause. I remember a few years ago I did in fact have one of my dogs flea treated not because he had fleas, but because I felt pressured by my vet:mad: for some reason he ended up with a white area in his coat, looked like the hair had been bleached, this did go when his new coat came in but it gave me food for thought.

mo

11. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I use frontline but the dog has to be over 2kg before you can use it!! Its expensive but it does work especially with a cat and this warm weather :)

12. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

what is DE mo? i am intrigued.

13. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Iv heard this is really good,if you do try it,let me know what you think.
    Have also used the garlic before and yes this does work too.

14. silverbeetle

silverbeetle PetForums Member

I tried Billy No Mates in my westie puppy's food but he refused to touch it. It does smell quite strong. I have read elsewhere they do a tincture which is less smelly but haven't tried it.

We are trying lavender/citronella/tree tree oils - I read in a post that this keeps fleas and ticks off and is completely natural. Fingers crossed it works as the spot-ons make Freddie's skin red and sore

15. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

yes im interested too!!!

currently I give Advocate, but tend to do it every 6-8 weeks instead of every 4. this PREVENTS against lungworm (and is currently the only product licensed to do so), whereas panacur i believe TREATS against lungworm and in a different dosage to normal i think, so you would have to know they had it.

Advocate covers most things except for tapeworm - which they get by ingesting the flea eggs - so if you are pretty sure they dont have fleas its not likely they will get tapeworm. however, i feed maggie raw and so it is potentially slightly higher risk of picking up worms, so i still give a 'drontal plus' worming tablet every 3 months or so. if i didnt feed raw i would be tempted not to bother and just do it annually or something.

I am thinking of just giving garlic instead of any of the above and maybe just once a year wormer for round worm/tape worm etc, but due to the lungworm thing I didnt know...

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

On reading the bits about "garlic" and "essential oils" for flea treatments I realised that Heidi has been flea free since I started bathing her in 50/50 dettol and pantene 2 in1.

I am now wondering if in fact this concoction works? A lady told me this is what she used on her dogs and never had fleas.

I started using it because Heidi regularly rolls in fox pooh and it gets rid of the smell.

17. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I use Billy no Mates and it seems to work fine for Ziggy, no fleas or ticks. However, I've had to pull about 4 ticks off Kite in the last week, and they carry Lyme disease round here, so this morning I used my last tube of Advantix on her.

18. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

I give my pair, a garlic tab daily, and neither have had fleas, I have only really given advocate etc if I've been abroad, and they needed it for their pet passports.

19. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

D E = Diatomacious Earch

20. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Milbemax wormer and panacur can be used against lungworm but you just have to read the instructions and dose accordingly over 3-7 days with panacur depending on the problem.

You can use frontline to guard against fleas, not sure if it has the same reaction as advocate when in contact with plastics or leather though?

People often don't treat for fleas unless they see them by which time the animal could have a skin problem that is what makes the owner 'notice' the fleas in the first place, also once it has fleas it will have tapeworm too as the tapeworm egg is carried in the flea and so the cycle begins!! :eek:

I always preventitively treat all of mine rather than double my vet bills by infesting the household with fleas and worms which then means treating the home and bedding aswell as the animals which can prove to be very costly and uncomfortable for the animals.

I worm every 3 months unless they are pups, then it is monthly until 6 months but this depends on the wormer used.

Hope this helps and i havn't waffled too much! LOL :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice