Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worming during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Spaniel mad, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

We have always wormed pregnant bitches once a week from day 45 using panacur granuals.

Just wondering what you worm and when??

2. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

This is my first pregnancy... well not mine lol but you know what I mean... anyway, I'll be starting worming treatment next week too and have panacur 2.5% liquid.

3. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

My vet said its best not to worm during pregnancy

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

We have always wormed through out pregnancy..

We use piperazine citrate-and we give it to the bitch every week from 6weeks, then when we start the puppies at 2weeks old we give them drontal and bitch every two weeks!

#4 DevilDogz, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  5. thedoggyparlour

thedoggyparlour PetForums Member

i have never wormed while pregant

6. Spaniel mad

I just asked my nan aswell and she said they never wormed when the bitches were pregnant. Just started the pups at 2 weeks old.

7. Yogi B

Yogi B PetForums Member

I do not worm during pregnancy but do each time I give it to my pups. Every 2 weeks.

8. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

I use Panacur and use the 40 day method whilst pregnant and a couple of days post whelp, then worm 2, 4 & 6 weeks both mum & pups. Pleased to so say we had no sign of any worms at all :D

9. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Vet told me not to worm mother until after pups arrive and then worm pups from two weeks of age and then mother too. xxxxx:)

10. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

I use Drontal for Lucy although the vet said to use stronghold but after reading some reviews decided against it during pregnancy. Mum and pups will be having drontal from 2 weeks.

I made sure that worming and flea treatment was up too date prior to mateing

#10 wooliewoo, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  11. Spaniel mad

There seems to be mixed views. Just makes you wonder more what to do for the best

12. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

My vet told me you could not use Drontal on pregnant bitches but if you are wanting to use drontal you can use Drontal Puppy Suspension from 2 wks old

Heres some info about Drontal and Panacur
    Drontal
    DO NOT USE IN PREGNANT ANIMALS. Dogs treated with elevated levels of the combination of febantel and praziquantel in early pregnancy demonstrated an increased incidence of abortion and fetal abnormalities.8 The effects of Drontal® Plus on pregnant animals have not been determined

For routine treatment a single dose is recommended.

Puppies should be treated at 2 weeks of age and every 2 weeks until 12 weeks of age. Thereafter they should be treated at 3 month intervals. It is advisable to treat the bitch at the same time as the puppies.

For the control of Toxocara, nursing bitches should be dosed 2 weeks after giving birth and every two weeks until weaning.

For routine control adult dogs should be treated every 3 months. For routine treatment a single dose is recommended. In the event of heavy roundworm infestation a repeat dose should be given after 14 days

Panacur

However Pregnant dogs can be giving panacur liquid

1 ml per 4 kg bodyweight daily from day 40 of pregnancy continuously to 2 days post-whelping (approximately 25 days) (= 25 mg fenbendazole/kg bodyweight daily).

Pups can be done with the same 0.5 ml per kg bodyweight daily for 3 consecutive days given by mouth after feeding to unweaned animals or mixed with food for weaned animals (= 50 mg fenbendazole/kg bodyweight daily for 3 days).

Puppies should be treated at 2 weeks of age, 5 weeks of age and again before leaving the breeders' premises.

Treatment may also be required at 8 and 12 weeks of age. Thereafter, frequency of treatment can be reduced unless the pups remain in kennels where reinfestation occurs more readily

#12 nat1979, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    Spaniel mad likes this.
  13. Spaniel mad

Thank you for that

I now know i will not be worming Storm while she is pregnant. She was up to date before she was mated so i have no worries and we always worn the pups every 2 weeks so will worm storm aswell

Thank You

14. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Its safe to use the panacur 10% on your bitch
    1 ml per 4 kg bodyweight daily from day 40 of pregnancy continuously to 2 days post-whelping

I have used it on all my bitches and pups and have never had a problems

15. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I have used the liquid panacur from day 40 too. Pups are now 2 weeks old so will be doing them tonight - wish me luck...I imagine it could get messy!:):)

16. Spaniel mad

Yes it is messy

The paste is good as they like to spit it back at you lol

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

When I trained as a veterinary nurse I was taught that bitches must be wormed when pregnant. I know things change but you would expect wormers to get safer, I think that has put me off drontal rather. If it does that to unborn pups what does it do to them when they are older.

18. Spaniel mad

I use Milbamax for my older dogs. Always have and i have no intention in changing

19. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

Have fun i worm my pups with the paste at 2 wks but use the liquid after i got covered on tue when my pups had they 4 wks worming

20. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Yes it was messy!

I felt so guilty afterwards as they sat there spitting and shaking their heads in disgust.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice