Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worming and flea treatmens...confused...

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by martp, May 10, 2010.

1. martp

martp PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    I'm really confused about the above after getting our kitten last Wednesday at about 12 weeks of age. She has been wormed with 10% Oral suspension panacur but no flea treatment. The breeder recommended Spot On and two different wormers (Panacur and Drontal) for the many different worm varieties there are.
    I know the breeder has recommended really good brands but I'm so confused as to how often they should be used, whether to use the two wormers, if cheaper alternatives are any good etc.
    She's a house cat but I know there's still possible ways she can pick these things up so want to do my best to keep her healthy...
    The brands recommended seem so expensive for 3 months of treatment?

2. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

The good ones are expensive. I do not have trouble putting stuff on the back of my kittens neck so I got some advocate from the vet - it is for BOTH worms and fleas. 3 months treatment was £17 :eek: but it was so easy to do.

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I highly rate the spot ons for worming and flea... however they usually dont cover for tapeworms, and only one of them (it might be advocate) covers for heartworm/lungworm.

I routinely worm with panacur soloution or drontol... not usually both together?!?! I routinely de-flea with frontline. I foster pregnant cats and their kittens so many of the spot ons are unsuitable for them.

However a couple of years ago now i had a big flea infestation... the only thing that worked on these mutants was advocate, combined with indorex household sprays.

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Profender spot on wormer treats the following:

Roundworms (Nematodes)
    Toxocara cati (mature adult, immature adult, L4 and L3)
    Toxascaris leonina (mature adult, immature adult and L4)
    Ancylostoma tubaeforme (mature adult, immature adult and L4)

Tapeworms (Cestodes)
    Dipylidium caninum (adult)
    Taenia taeniaeformis (adult)
    Echinococcus multilocularis (adult)

It's reasonably comprehensive and a doddle to use.

5. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

A house cat won't need treated as often as an outdoor hunter. I use Profender because it's easy to administer but it's probably overkill in my situation. I don't use routine flea treatments because I don't have a flea problem. If your cat doesn't ever get fleas then it won't get tapeworm. For roundworm I've used Milbemax rather than Drontal because it's a small pill - much easier to get down a cat.

6. billyboysmammy

agree with you apart from one point.

taenia pisiformis (sp) tapeworm can infect cats and is most often transmitted by rabbit meats. Therefore if anyone is feeding a raw diet which includes rabbit (or in fact is from a supplier which has a rabbit recipe), they should include tapeworm medication.

I'm a big advocate of raw diets but there are as always some extra precautions to take.

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You're right and I hadn't considered it. Got a kitten due to go and live with house rabbits so it's been off the menu in this house for a while :) Out of interest how often would you worm a cat on a raw diet? I used to treat for worms and fleas like a religious zealot but got to wondering why I was pouring chemicals into and over my cats and kittens just for the sake of it. I now don't use routine flea treatments and worm only twice a year.

8. catbird8

catbird8 PetForums Member

i use pet drugs online, they sell drontal and frontline with lots of savings!:)

9. billyboysmammy

Maybe the wrong person to ask as i am a fosterer and so a bit more OTT than some... but with strange animals coming and going i prefer to ensure i am on top of things.

At the moment i only have my 2 long term fosters here, one of which will definatly be here for the rest of her days, the other for however long it takes (9months so far), so i am a little more relaxed.

I tend to worm every 8 (ish) weeks and only treat for fleas once every 6months (well thats the plan), unless i see them before. My cats enjoy raw rabbit regularly so i like to ensure i am taking care of that side of things.

10. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

vet told me that Advocate covers ALL types
    I am prepared to be wrong though, but I checked with her

11. martp

martp PetForums Newbie

Hi havoc, that sounds great but it seems to be prescription only on the sites I checked unless you know somewhere that doesn't require prescription?
    Many thanks

12. martp

martp PetForums Newbie

many thanks for the tip catbird8, they're cheaper than the one I was going to use (only by a pound at the most but still worth it in these times!) :thumbup:

13. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

#13 hobbs2004, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  14. billyboysmammy

I'm pretty certain that the worming active ingredient in advocate is moxidectin.

Mosidectin is used to treat, hookworms, heart worms, lungworms, roundworms, and whipworms. It also treats ear mites!

I couldnt find anything to suggest it is a proven treatment for tapeworms. In theory it should do, but there are a number of studies about its ineffectiveness.

Its still a very comprehensive treatment, as it treats for fleas and tics too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice