Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wormery?

Discussion in 'Gardening Advice' started by Prowl, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Prowl

Prowl Guest

What is the purpose of having a wormery?

2. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

They turn your vegetable waste into liquid fertilizer and compost by eating it and then pooping. but I found them very fussy, prone to cooking in hot weather, and not eating at all in cold weather. Now I use the bin to hold a vile-smelling comfrey-and-water brew that needs a lid to stop it being declared a health hazard, and a tap to draw it out (you really don't want to be splashed). It is great on the veggies.

I think worms would be good if you could keep them at an even temperature, but I just couldn't manage it.

3. patterdalelass

patterdalelass PetForums Senior

I have one but had the same problems as jonescat.
    As there is only two of us here and most of the food we dont eat goes to the dogs or our chickens we didnt have enough for the worms.
    Im thinking of turning it into a boshaki dog poo wormery but ill wait until spring if i do.

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I loved the idea of a wormery....but again the reality did not quite live up to it!
    They don't like onions or citrus, which I seem to eat a lot of. Heavy rain flooded it once and drowned a lot of the worms, at other times I was plagued by fruit flies which I cannot bear.
    I gave mine away on Freecycle.:(

5. Neelam

Neelam PetForums Member

Maybe this link can help you. I once found it as due to all the rabbit manure to be composted I found I could already open a fishing shop supplying earth worms... (and started research how to keep those worms happy composting)

Red Worm Composting

6. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

My dad had a very successful worry I've used the juice well diluted as a feed on my veggies and it worked really well better than my comfrey tea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice