Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wormer overdose?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SilverCat285, Sep 9, 2013.

1. SilverCat285

SilverCat285 PetForums Member

I just wormed my 11 week old kitten with pancur and stupidly thought it was one graduation from the top instead of the bottom! About half the syringe came out, most of it landed on the floor but she did get quite a bit in her mouth. Called the vet and the said she should be fine.. I think I'm going to be sick, I'm so worried.

2. Joy84

Joy84 PetForums VIP

Can't help, but hope your kitten will be ok!

3. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

silvercat....your vet should have knowledge of the safe perameters for this drug so if they say the kitten will be ok then they should know what they are talking about.
    My own experience of Panacur is that I have ended up wearing most of it when kitty has spat it back out, so try not to worry too much.
    If the kitten starts to act unwell at all then of course rush it to the vet,
    Do you still have the packaging/insert for the wormer? You might even be able to contact the manufacturer for further advice.

4. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Good thing you spilled most of it....
    If the vet says she will be ok, he is probably right, but keep a close eye on her nonetheless, just in case....
    If you see anything out of the ordinary, just call the vet and report it.

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

(0)370 060 3380
    try this number for the manufacturer

6. SilverCat285

The vet called the manufacturer themselves, apparently they've tested it up to 5x the recommended amount and the only problem the cats had was diarrhoea. But I'm not sure exactly how much she got and she's so tiny..

7. SilverCat285

On the syringe I think about 5 or 6 graduations came out, there was quite alot over me/kitten/floor but at the very least she got a double dose, at worse possibly a triple or quadruple dose.

She slept, eaten and played since then she does have quite bad diarrhoea but the vet told me that she probably would. She got the wormer at about 1:30pm and she seems okay just now, how long could it take to "kick in"?

8. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

If she has diarrhea, she will probably have got rid of most of it by now....

9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Of all the things you could make a mistake with wormers are probably going to be the least dangerous. Panacur happens to come in liquid or paste form which means you can be very accurate with dosage but most wormers don't. Most come in pill form or spot on with an extremely wide range for dosing eg the same dose for a 2-4 kg cat. I honestly think the worst you can expect is an upset tum for a day or so and worming can cause that anyway.

10. SilverCat285

So she should be okay?

I've been panicking so much all day, I feel like such an awful owner

11. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I'll bet you feel far worse than she does. Stop beating yourself up :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice