UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Since we have had Pip we have been worming her every 3 months with Drontal. However, this month we bought Panacur granules from the vet who said we only need to worm her a couple of times a year. Now im confused as to how often we should worm her. We have never spotted any worms in her toilet.

She is 4kg and is 18 months old.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It is a bit confusing:p
Most wormer manufacturers will advocate the use every 3 months...they want u to buy the product!
The main worms that the wormers kill are round and tape, and the lifestyle of ur dog may indicate as to how high a risk they are as to contracting them.
If ur dog scavenges, eats raw meat inparticular dead rabbits or frequently gets fleas then they are high risk.
A dog that never scavenges, deflead regular and fed a comercial or cooked diet low risk.
It is possible for an animal to be reinfected as soon as 6 weeks after the last wormer! Just remember the gut is a passage tht continually moves food etc through, nothing that u use will provide longterm protection against worms, it will only kill any in the system at the time u do it.
When u do it is entirely up to u, some every 3 mnths, some every 6 some once a year and some never or only if they are suspicious. Like I state above...look at your dogs lifestyle if hi risk I would do every 3 if lo risk I would do every 6:smile5:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a bit confusing:p
Most wormer manufacturers will advocate the use every 3 months...they want u to buy the product!
The main worms that the wormers kill are round and tape, and the lifestyle of ur dog may indicate as to how high a risk they are as to contracting them.
If ur dog scavenges, eats raw meat inparticular dead rabbits or frequently gets fleas then they are high risk.
A dog that never scavenges, deflead regular and fed a comercial or cooked diet low risk.
It is possible for an animal to be reinfected as soon as 6 weeks after the last wormer! Just remember the gut is a passage tht continually moves food etc through, nothing that u use will provide longterm protection against worms, it will only kill any in the system at the time u do it.
When u do it is entirely up to u, some every 3 mnths, some every 6 some once a year and some never or only if they are suspicious. Like I state above...look at your dogs lifestyle if hi risk I would do every 3 if lo risk I would do every 6:smile5:
Excellent reply, thank you....i would say Pip is a low risk doggy, so maybe ill have a go at every 6 months.

Thanks!

G

·
I think I am right in saying that Panacur doesn't cover all worms but does protect from lung worm, I would alternate the wormer panacur covering 6 months and Drontal for the next 6 months.
Not absolutely sure on this, can anyone give a definite answer?

·
Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)
26,063 Posts
i worm mine 3 monthly i use either drontel or panacur, most often panacur 10% as it also kills lungworm

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Just ti add further confusion:confused::D
The dose rate for a few of the wormers is different if doing for lung worm.
Ie panacur 10% is 1ml/2kg daily for 7 days as opposed to 1ml/1kg as a single dose gor gastro intestinal worms...just incase anyone wanted to know;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Considering how often dogs should be treated for worms, a vet visits are probably too inconvenient. So you will need to learn to medicate your dog yourself. When medicating your dog, a some level of restraint may or may not be necessary. Your dog may be one of the many that actually respond better to minimal restraint. Or the pet could object violently, in which case you may even need someone to help you. After 6 months of age of your dogs, begin administering a heartworm medication once per month. This will keep your dog healthy and prevent your dog from contracting any worms in the future.

"Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections,predictable in their actions,grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to."
dog wormers and cat wormers Derbyshire, United Kingdom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.