Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working with dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by ebonymooncats, Jul 15, 2009.

1. ebonymooncats

ebonymooncats PetForums Junior

Hiya

I was wondering whether anyone knows what sort of qualifications or experience I would need to wotk with neglected or abused rescue dogs. Its something I have been thinking about and feel that I would really like to do it. I would love to help them become happy etc. I know I would probably need some sort of qualification in canine behaviour but does anyone know anything else i would need to have.

thanks xx

2. amanda123

amanda123 PetForums Member

3. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I think the main thing animal places look for is experience so I would advise seeing if there are any shelters in the area you could volunteer at.
    I'm about to start a distance learning foundation degree in canine behaviour and training. It means I can get a qualification whilst working.
    I hope this helps.

4. amanda123

amanda123 PetForums Member

5. ebonymooncats

ebonymooncats PetForums Junior

Thanks for your posts...

I have experience with animals and am a qualified animal nursing assistant - I have done a course in canine first aid and dog grooming also microchipping. I do have some experience with basic training but nothing on paper. I would love to volunteer with a rescue but live in East London and cannot see to find any rescue centres around this area... dont know if anyone knows of any?

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

7. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

I work in rescue,before that i worked in a show kennels and boarding cattery for 9 years,it`s a very difficult career to get into,it took me 5 years to get this job,the demand is so high.
    I have a first and national diploma in animal care.(3 years at college)various work experience placements etc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice