Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working with dogs/animals

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Buggles, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

I really don't know what I want to do with my life (jobwise). I'll be 22 next Monday and work in retail. I HATE retail. It's boring and so repetitive. I really want to work with dogs/animals but I don't know what. I don't want to be a vet or vet nurse.

The trouble is, I don't drive and there is nothing in my little town that I could do. I would LOVE to work for myself.

Any suggestions?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Stay out of the pet industry. If you really love animals it will make you miserable.

Ever thought about boarding or rescue kennels? You could start out as a volunteer.

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

that is good advice, I would love to be able to work with rescue's, but i just couldn't. I can never see myself fostering, as I would want to keep them! x

4. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

hi working in a rescue sounds like a good idea to get you started working with animals and the experience would look good to any prospective employers in the future. What about doing a training course at night school learning to groom dogs or something like that. Retail may not be ideal, but in this credit crunch era it pays the bills, keep with it until some thing better comes along:)

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I am just doing lodas of research into setting up my own dog walking business.

Next year I am hoping to go to colege and train to be a veterinary nurse :)

x

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Ah, good for you. Why not go into behaviourism instead? Too few good ones around x

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I had considered that too :

Need to see what the courses at college are like.

x

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You need to get into a training practice to be a vet nurse. Start looking now, as its REALLY hard to find a position.

There is a full time course you can do i think, but vets avoid those people like the plague as they have book knowledge and no practical experience, and basically require retraining.

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

We have quite a few vets round here so I will start looking thanks :)

x

10. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i am in EXACTLY the same boat as you. the only difference is that my parents own a pet shop and thats where i have been working for the last 3years (i will quickly point out that we do NOT sell animals and never would). and i also have to add its not a depressing place to work. however i kind of want independence away from my parents now so no longer wish to work at the shop. only problem is i cant find anything else to do. i would love to do some volunteer work but i would also need to have a paying job! argh im so stressed out about it the now!

11. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I work in retail and i've also got a job at the RSPCA :)

i'm doing a National Diploma in Animal Management, it's a 2 year full time college course and it's fantastic! We do loads of different modules (to do with animals) such as animal welfare and breed development, animal health, animal behaviour, breeding and genetics, grooming, animal collections, aquatics, exotics, nutrition and loads more stuff.....pretty much everything!! We've got loads of hands on experience with all sorts of animals at college plus we get opportunities to go to all sorts of animal related places and get hands on experience with their animals - we went to see the police dogs a couple of months ago at the training centre.... what a fantastic day that was :) also got to see the Guide Dogs for the Blind training centre and see what work they do and meet their dogs :)

It's a fantastic course and I would reccommend it to anyone who wants to work in the animal sector because it's useful for so many different jobs :)

However it is a full time college course so it's not ideal if you have a house to pay for or kids to look after (although a couple of people in my class have kids and they seem to manage!) :)

12. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I did this course, and it has not helped me with any animal jobs I am afraid, I think if the jobs are about it doesnt matter all that much.
    A year into my course I was offered a job at the RSPCA and I asked the manager what she thought I should do, quit after year one and not get anything in qualifications or do the 2nd year, she said there would be a job waiting when I finished. When I did the 2nd year and went back to her for a job she said I was then overqualified, and I have since found out she was worried I wanted her job.
    Since then I have worked in McDonalds(4 grueling months!) and now I work in an aquatics centre.

*Heidi*

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If you can't drive to get anyhwhere, have you looked into the open university? You could learn something from home maybe?

x

14. nerd of prey

nerd of prey PetForums Junior

I think learning to drive would be a positive step as if one day you did own your own business as a behaviourist or groomer you would need to travel and bus routes are poor unless you live in central london, it's also an important life skill.

My bf is doing a distance learning course on ICS, they offer a dog grooming course, a dog behaviour course and a vet nurse course they seem to be a well organised and professional distance learning company and you can pay in monthly installments so it works out pretty cheap, he is doing A Level maths and its like £30 a month for 10 months. The course in itself wouldn't help you get a job but teamed with work experience would make you look very keen and eager to learn and comitted to animal work.

If I was you I would continue with retail for your day job for the mean time, learn to drive, start a distance learning course and volunteer on your days off at a local rescue or vets. It sounds like a lot of work but you will probably feeler happier knowing you are working towards something you actually want to do!

15. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

Well in September im starting my national diploma in animal management :)
    I've just completed the first diploma and the work experience changed my mindd completley about wanting to be a veterinary nurse.
    I think I'd like to own a small animal boarding :)
    or do something in animal biology.
    lol

16. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Good luck its blimmin hard i have been looking for months now!

I did a course at a wild life hospital that i still help out at now and i can honestly say its was the best months of my life!
    Although its heart breaking at times too i passed and got a NVQ 2 in animal care!
    After sitting in on things like autopsys of deer and amputations of hind legs, i decided that i would like to train as a vet nurse!

I am not going to uni to study to be a vet nurse i am going to do it through a practise!

#16 DevilDogz, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2009
  17. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

I would just like to say that having qualifications doesn`t always get you anywhere,I have a first and national diploma in animal care.
    But when it cam to looking for jobs it was experience they wanted,i was lucky in that idid at least 8 different work placements at college.
    It still took me 5 years to get my current job,countless interviews and voluntary days.
    Animal care is a hard industry to get into.
    It used tro annoy me when i found out people with no qualifications were getting jobs i`d gone for,but in my current job i realise,more than anything you need common sense and lots of experience.
    I`m glad i did my college course i learnt alot,but most things aren`t needed in a profession like kennels and rescues.

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Took me ten years :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice