Working with animals?

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by TheWitcher, Aug 9, 2017.

1. TheWitcher

TheWitcher PetForums Junior

Aloha :cool:

I recently turned 18, and figured it's time I got a job, I've always had a love for animals and have been very dead set on working with them when I was younger.

Unfortunately there isn't any rescue centres within public transports reach or walking distance.
    I did apply for a job at Pets at home (only place near enough with animals) sadly got turned down.

So I'm a little stuck for ideas on what I could do.

2. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums Senior

I would strongly suggest learning to drive, as it is needed for a lot of animal work. It will also help you get to places a little further away.

I'd also look into doing an animal care qualification. Most will have a work experience component, enabling you to build up some experience on a voluntary basis, where you may be able to eventually get paid work.

You could also consider self-employment doing things like dog walking, pet sitting, or animal transport. Again, driving will be quite important.

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Honestly if you are a student then I'd just take any job you can get. Even though it's nice working with animals don't limit yourself.

If you aren't a student then I agree with the above, you may find it a struggle if you can't drive. A lot of kennels, rescues, vets etc, are rural and require private transport.

Be warned though, unless you are specifically qualified in something animal related (like a vet nurse etc) then finding a job is competitive especially if you don't have any qualifications or experience. The pay is also crap most of the time. Animal care is also one of those jobs where demand completely outstrips the number of positions, particularly as so many roles are filled by voluntary workers who do it for free!

TriTri likes this.