Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working trials - Video

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jenny Olley, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Working trials is one of the lesser known dog sports, despite being around for almost 100 years. I have put together this video of most of the working trials exercises. The sport is suitable for most breeds of dogs, but we own BCs, GSDs & BC x GSDs, which is why that's what's mostly in the vid.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Katalyst, FAW56, O2.0 and 4 others like this.
  2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Fantastic

tabelmabel and Jenny Olley like this.
  3. Jenny Olley

Thank you.

4. Nettles

Nettles PetForums VIP

Brilliant! I could watch working trials all day :)

Jenny Olley likes this.
  5. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

I love watching dogs searching that "ding" moment when they scent the article. That was a fantastic send away and redirect!!

I did a couple of GSD League working tests with John Rogerson up here in Scotland. My Boxer got the first two and my Beardie the first one.

We also have Beardie Working Tests not to be confused with Herding Instinct Tests.

The Senior working test has a long jump, a clear jump, send away and a search square or a seek back. 3 of my Beardies passed the Senior Test as did 2 of my Boxers.

I never had enough access to a scale to train to do "proper" WT

Jenny Olley and tabelmabel like this.
  6. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Great vid. Wish we could have progressed further but it's not to be this time around. Maybe with my next dog. Although I'm kind of liking the discussions on the FB group about changing the scale to an A frame! ;)

Jenny Olley likes this.
  7. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Loved the Collie on direction. Only a Border Collie can drop with such panache and make it look so natural.:D

Good jumping too - especially that long jump!

Thanks for sharing.

J

Jenny Olley likes this.
  8. Jenny Olley

Thanks for your lovely comments.
    Well done, that sounds great.

9. Jenny Olley

I think we'll wait a long time for a change to the jumps, but think it may come. Yes hopefully will be able to.

Dogloverlou likes this.
  10. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

Changing to A frame has been talked about for as long as I can remember. Wish they would do it though

Dogloverlou likes this.
  11. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Yes. Looks like it's one of those things that has to be passed through committees etc which are generally quite reluctant to change at the best of times.

I've never had any particular anxieties about the scale until I started reading about other peoples experiences and the potential damage that can be caused later on in life, whether those are just anecdotal or not, you can't help but consider those issues yourself. Especially as Cash jumps from the top of the scale and won't 'climb' down. We can only get him to 5ft try as I might but him jumping like that has caused me to grimace a few times.

12. Jenny Olley

I have no evidence either with ours or loads of dogs we have trained for trials that the jumps cause any physical harm, luckily I am in touch with lots of dogs we have trained until they die. If I though they did cause physical harm we wouldn't teach them to ours or others.

However I do think to some dogs and handlers they cause anxiety, worry and stress, some dogs are not of the correct confirmation or temperament to complete full working trials jumps, no matter how well they may be trained. That may be a good reason to reconsider the jumps, although they have been like that a very long time. I agree dogs jumping from the top of the scale is not good, they come down too heavily.

Even if the majority of people involved in trials wanted a change to the jumps, which I don't think they do, the wheels of change turn slowly.

13. Jenny Olley

Yes it gets mentioned every few years, but not sure it ever gets proposed to the liaison council.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice