Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working Time Directive

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Aug 15, 2009.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Is this law or not? Because at work sometimes I get 6 hours between shifts meaning about 3 hours sleep before I am back in again, which is not good!

I think its stupid because then you end up with tired staff and they are more prone to mistakes!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Doesnt it depend on what job you do?

People on call like doctors, paramedics, vets etc are exempt i think. Could be wrong though.

3. Oblada

Oblada Guest

The European Working Time Directive became UK law in 1998 through the The Working Time Regulations 1998 - look at
    HSE Frequently Asked Questions - The Working Time Regul...
    Statutory Instrument 1998 No. 1833

I think it has been amended in 2003 to include more professions -but you still have to check if it applies to you (in most cases the answer is yes)

I think it states you should have at least 11 hours break in a 24 hours period of work...

Where about do you work? how long have you been with your employer?
    You could take the issue up with the employer but first consider the implications for your job!

xx

#3 Oblada, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  4. CharleyRogan

I'm a Sales Assistant is Spar/Shell Garage. Sometimes I finish at 11pm and I'm back in for 5:30am/6am which is still not even 8 hours! I have been with them a month, and I'm always accomodating and sometimes even stay late, think done 45 hours this week when only scheduled for 39! I also work up to 9 1/2 hour days too.

#4 CharleyRogan, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  5. Oblada

Oblada Guest

The Directive/Regulations should apply to you then and clearly your employer does not seem too concerned about abiding by it..;)..but the problem is that if you take it up with the employer you MAY risk losing your job (depends on the employer of course..)...and as you have only been there a month you cannot claim unfair dismissal (which you can do only after having work 1 year for the same employer) and may be very limited in what you can do about it...
    Try to call ACAS (08457 47 47 47) if you want some free advice on employment law - you can also go to your local CAB!

xx

#5 Oblada, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  6. CharleyRogan

Thats not fair that I can lose my job because the company is doind something illegal! Surely thats an unfair dismissal!

7. Oblada

Oblada Guest

To be sacked for asserting your right is often automatically unfair dismissal thats true...unfortunately to be able to claim unfair dismissal at the first place you need to have worked there for 1 year (thats UK law not EU law ;))

Have a chat with ACAS they should be able to direct you better!

xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice