Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working Springers.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Acacia86, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hi, as some of you know i have a ESS that i have had since December 08. He was born in Wales before coming here. He is now 3 and half. He was born into a family that works their dogs. I think he was used for a bit.
    Anyway it is obvious he has come form a working background. A friend of the family work their Springers and so does Matt who lives a few doors down from me.
    I have always been interested in 'working' him but trail only as i wouldn't be able to go on a real shoot. We don't really have any over here but the shooters kind of do there own. Well Beau has gone with Matt tonight!!!! Matt has always wanted to take him but so far i have been apprehensive................

Sorry i will get to the questions now :eek:.....

Does anyone work their Springers?

And do they come back with cuts? From being in the brambles and gorse?

2. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I work my boy And touch wood not anything:D you need too check them over really well though and a good brush.pm me if you want to no anything;)

3. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

My older is too old for it now - Iwas thinking about Trialing him a few years ago but thats since gone. My pup i intend to put into gundog training shortly if not go into trials to see where he comes.
    My pup at 6mths is already running freely in and out of cover - im not talking beaten tracks im talking real brambles, heavy tree lines and tall grasses and loving it - a matter of i call him and he appears 50m ahead of where he entered... mighty little man.:) Hes not been injured yet but I do know of a few breaks and scrapes happening with working them, it can happen anywhere anytime when you think about it though :)

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

He has just got back...and he isn't liver and white.....he is black :eek: lol!!!

Thanks, he really enjoyed himself and was really good! There was 2 other Springers and two cockers that went. I think he took his Patterdales too. And Beau listened and was well behaved, i am so proud of him!

I only asked because Matt says his ESS sometimes gets little cuts but they aren't cause for concern.

Do you shower yours when they get home? Or just brush/comb them when they dry?

5. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have always sent mine into brambles and gorse with his ball but trialing they go much deeper, thats why i was a little worried!
    I do think he feels right at home when he is searching under masses of bush!

6. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

As you may know we work and breed champion line springers. We have 2 at the moment.
    Trials are just the same as a shoot, but you get marked for it, so if you feel there is any difference as in what would happen, there isn't :eek:
    They do sometimes come back with cuts, depends on how thick and full the cover is. This is why their tails are docked, they will be shredded to bits if they go into any cover with full tails. If yours has a full tail, i personally wouldn't hunt him.
    Working them and getting them steady and perfect for trials is difficult. Tehs rpingers job isn't to catch rabbits or pheasants, or really retrieve them, they are flushers, so are trained to go into cover and flush them out then stop and sit, not to give chase as this is extremely dangerous. The dog could be shot. He needs to stop as soon as he flushes it. Or if he hears a gun go off, he has to sit up and face you immediatley.although they do.

7. Badger's Mum

Too be honest i check my boy over for anything sharp he clean's his self up. But do brush him after his had a rest:D

8. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Mine is docked, he was as a puppy. But there are dogs that go that aren't and their tails are fine never been a problem!
    I know that they flush and not hunt/chase/kill etc. And the 'trails' over here are just people that go together with their dogs and train them Not to guns or anything to do with the rabbits. The shooting season doesn't start until October and you can't use guns any other times. There aren't any proper trails! Which is why Matt goes to the UK when he can!

I have checked him over and he is fine :) but he is rolling around the floor like a loon lol!!!! :D

9. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

sounds top stuff, his wait is near perfect but 50m away my voice doesnt carry or my signal and im leaving the whislte until i know what im doing with it - im thinking about going out to Ormskirk and West Lancs Gundogs or to Kirkham Gundog Training. His tail is full - I dont really want the hastle ive heard with docking in later life (hes Scottish so came with full) :D
    Just to clear up Trails they are still retrieving game? I thought it was just on command searches.. cheers:)

#9 james1, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Make sure you check in between his toes thoroughly because if a wee thorn got stuck it can become infected.

I'm glad he enjoyed himself, will you be letting him go again?

x

11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have done and all is great! Yes i think i will! He absolutely loved it! And it is good for him, i can't go because they go in the evening and i have my little girl to sort out for bed!
    So yeah i will let him, Matt is suberb at working dogs, so i feel i can trust him 110% with my special boy.
    xx

12. Badger's Mum

I'll come and babysit for you it's the best thing in the world to see your dog work:D:D

Acacia86 likes this.
  13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would come babysit too but I think you are a bit far away! Lol
    Get him to take a video then you can see :)

x

Acacia86 likes this.
  14. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I myself can't bear the thought of shooting but I used to loan Barney out to a guy who used to shoot and barney came back unharmed. He often came back with all sorts stuck in his ears though, took me hours sometimes to remove the things from them lol

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I thought most springers got stuff stuck in there ears?? Lol
    My oh's mums neighbour has a springer caled Coisty, and she always has god knows what stuck all over her! lol

x

16. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I can hopefully get some in when my angel is at her dads :) i really would love it!
    I am still unsure of letting him go to the proper shoots in October. He won't be able to do anything anyway because he isn't trained to the gun, so to speak! So he would just be sat there watching this season anyway!

17. Badger's Mum

Don't worry Matt will make shaw his ok with the gun way before october;). be brave let him go;)

18. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

No i know shooting season doesn;t start till october, i was just making sure ya knew that trials are the same as shoots :D
    Only reason i dont like to hunt a dog with a full tail is cos i know quite a few and have had one myslef with a full tail, skin was shredded and the end of the tail battered, that whn they came back they used to whip blood all round the place :/ not petty as you can imagine :rolleyes:
    xx

19. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I don't think guns can be used before October! Either way if i do decide Matt would never let him just go without him being used to it. I am still deciding! I do think it would be good for him. It is what he was born to do!

Why is he so loony now??? After rolling around the floor for a while he is so blimming excitable!! Is this normal??

20. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Lol!! I can only imagine :) its bad enough with mud let alone blood :eek: my cats were a little worried at the state of him, they would be really shocked if he was all bloody lol!!!
    I still can't believe he is so muddy! When i take him on his daily walks he does get filthy but this is madness!!! (it is raining though! and he went to muddy old fields lol!) I'm not worried though and he is so happy!
    xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice