Working Springer with FTW parents as a non-working pet?

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by pd1983, Jan 3, 2015.

1. pd1983

pd1983 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I have experience of looking after my friends field type springer and fell in love with the breed. After much consideration i am going to look at pups from a good breeder that checks pups are clear for hereditary diseases etc but the lineage of the pups are strong working champions.

I don't want to work the dog but am committed to 2 x hrly walks a day and interesed in obedience training and flyball or agility when it is old enough.However,I would appreciate people's input on wether the dog will settle in the house or be constantly on the go?
    Have you a working springer as a pet?
    Would you rate having a good breeder as a priority?The breeder says half their litters go to be pets and half are sold to work

For info,the dog will be with me all week with a few hrs (4 hrs per day average)in home alone.

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

You have answers on the other thread you started on the same subject

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Depends on the dog really. For every person who says their working type whatever (insert breed) is fabulous in the house, you'll find another who has struggled. It also depends on how you handle it and what your expectations are. If you are prepared to deal with a dog that is very full on, potentially inside and out, then yes there is no reason why working type dogs cannot be kept as pets if physically and mentally stimulated. However, if you are after a more easy going pet (aka a dog that is happy with a couple of hours exercise and chills the rest of the time) then you may be looking in the wrong place.

4. Delilahdog

Delilahdog PetForums Member

It sounds like you know what you are getting into and if you are already a lover of the breed what are you waiting for?
    We have a show cocker spaniel but she demonstrates all of the breed characteristics you might find in a working dog (although probably less exaggerated) She was absolutely manic for the first few years and I remember a farmer telling me 'they calm down when they get to about 4yrs'
    Sure enough, at 4yrs it was like someone flipped a switch.
    Although partly relieved we do miss the chaos, you just get used to it!
    So go for it and enjoy every mad minute if you think you are up to it but your life will never be the same.......