Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Working in Animal Care

Discussion in 'Animal Jobs & Working with Animals' started by Kelsie2804, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Kelsie2804

Kelsie2804 PetForums Newbie

I currently am sitting a Veterinary Care Assistants course at my local college which I intended to follow up with Veterinary Nursing but due to unforeseen hospital circumstances, this is looking like a bleak image.
    I have worked alongside horses and cared for my own pets (dogs, cats, friends bunnies etc) for as long as I can remember. I considered getting into some kind of pet care service or breaking out alone.
    What kind of calling is there for a dog walking/pet sitting/horse care business out there?
    I will genuinely work with any animal besides reptiles due to a large fear.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi Kelsie2804, it depends where you live! Where I live there is a huge call for dog walkers; they earn around £14 an hour per dog and can sometimes be seen taking out 3 or 4 dogs at once. That’s decent money for dog walking, but doesn’t seem fair on the dogs, as if something goes wrong, I don’t see how they can keep all dogs safe. There are people with pet sitting companies that don’t appear to pay well, so once you have the right experience, you are better off working for yourself, or in a partnership, or setting up your own business. I believe that in countries like Spain, there is a large demand for house/pet sitters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice