Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working Golden Retrievers?

Discussion in 'Gundogs & Gundog Training' started by GoldenShadow, Sep 17, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Any idea why these seem so few and far between? Generally at all the demonstrations I've seen (admittedly at general dog shows and the like, just local things) its always labs and spaniels, more so spaniels. Don't think I have ever seen a golden retriever at work.

Wondered if there is a particular reason for this? I'm quite keen to get into the working side with them eventually but looking around for working pups it seems most are attempts at dual purpose, seemingly more heavily weighted on the show side or I might just be looking in completely the wrong places..! I've even looked for books and reading materials targeted towards retrievers and they seem very hard to find, even for labs but I feel like I come across a lot for spaniels.

But yes, wondered if anyone knew much about why they seem lacking in number and where I should be looking to see some lovely working goldens? :)

2. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Afraid I can't point you in any specific direction but they're definitely out there! I watched a demo at the Suffolk Show this year with 3 lovely Goldens, all with darker, shorter hair then most around today. Was great to see them with the Labs and Spaniels, they were just as able and enthusiastic.

3. GoldenShadow

Hmm what do you mean by shorter hair?! I've never seen a shorter haired golden, weren't fox red labs were they?! :D

I'm not too far from Suffolk, I'll have to do some research :)

4. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

5. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

There was a fox red Lab in the ring with the Goldies! They just didn't have the excessive coats that you see on a lot of pet dogs and all the show winners (the Goldies I know best are show lined so I really noticed the difference).

6. GoldenShadow

Hehe thanks I will have a look at the links tomorrow, bit too tired at the min to take them in :D

Ahhh right that makes sense. I very much like middle of the road goldens. Don't like red ones, don't like white ones, don't like short hair, don't like long hair :p

I think I could have trouble finding my dream puppy :( I've got a good few years to look though ;)

7. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

It's funny, all the breeders I've been looking at are producing cream Goldens nowadays. I do like the cream ones but would be nice to see more variations in the colours.

8. shamykebab

shamykebab PetForums VIP

9. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

The gamekeeper on one of our local shoots breeds working goldies, it's where I got 'Flyte from.

10. GoldenShadow

I really dislike the creams. I cannot express in words but I just don't get it, some are literally white that I've met :nonod: Golden retrievers to me means there must be some variation in coat, even in the very light goldens there must be some kind of gold tint somewhere on the coat. Light golden is fine, but white/cream is just not my thing at all :(

Oooh thanks not heard of them. I have to say I prefer dark red to cream/white but I prefer golden :lol: Catcombe are nice middle of the road golden colours:

Catcombe Golden Retrievers

Only thing is they originated from show dogs I think and I'd like something more diverse form the off. At this rate I'd have to make my own dream golden but I never would. Just have to make some compromises I suppose :(

Rayleas are beautiful too, they say dual purpose but someone has told me they do more show than work...

Rayleas Golden Retrievers - Golden Retrievers in France - Burgundy

Oooh yeah, he's gorgeous too :)

11. orkney

orkney PetForums Junior

Hi! I'm new to this forum but I saw this thread and had to jump in...I have a working golden....hes my OH's gun dog ( well he will be....when trained!)
    We got as a one year old part trained gun dog last year from a guy who did feild trials...he got him from a breeder in Austria.
    http://www.nordenlights.co.uk/ ( See Chester...he's with us now!) I think some one mentioned this link already
    We are hopefully getting a second next year from Kirsty Cousins @ Gortons.

They are quite different from the grs of today but I do get alot of comments from people in their 70s + saying this is how they mind them looking when they were young....no idea if this is true or not.

I've attatched a piccie of him..its not the best one we have but its the only one I can find at the min...

Attached Files:

#11 orkney, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
    GoldenShadow likes this.
  12. springerpete

Hi. I to have a Golden from working stock. He was bred by a gamekeeper friend of mine. He's five months old and is coming along nicely, alredy doing blind retreives so I'm hopeful he'll make a good gun dog. You can check him out on my page if you like. Also picking up a Springer pup tomorrow. Sadly I dont see too many Goldies on the shooting field these days.
    Good luck with him. Cheers Pete.

13. esi75

esi75 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I've also got a 'working bred' golden although he isn't worked.

Logie is from a breeder in Perthshire. Her kennel prefix is Drumtochty and she has been breeding goldens for at least 40 years.

I've also got a lighter golden puppy but she is from a working bred mother and so far has the same intelligence that Logie has.

Hopefully I've attached a photo of him.

Eileen

[​IMG]

14. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

Emma is also from working parents but we dont work her....but my hubs wishes he had now but she is five at xmas so too late now:(

She is very athletic and intelligent and a very powerfull bitch unlike any other GRs we have owned and thats quite a few.
    Emma has much shorter hair and darker coat and long legs and is much taller than our other GRs.
    This is a pic Emma.

Attached Files:

15. GoldenShadow

Dunno how the HECK I managed to miss these updates with photos and everything!

Beautiful dogs guys, don't see enough goldens on here whatsoever if there is ever a golden thread I miss please point me in its direction :001_wub:

16. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Dunno how I missed this either GS, have a google for Canburne, another goldie breeder with working dogs, very nice by all accounts, there are a few out there :)

17. springerpete

This is my nine month old 'Goldie, Flyte. Out on his first shoot earlier this year.
    He was bred by a local gamekeeper friend of mine and as you can see, he's a working retreiver, and hopefully, a good 'un. So they are out there, they're just getting more difficult to find from working bloodlines, my boy may not be the prettiest goldie in the world and probably would get thrown out of a show ring, but my word, he's fit for purpose and that's good enough for me.
    Apologies for the picture quality, the guy that took them was unfamiliar with my camera,

Attached Files:

J_fo89 likes this.
  18. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

A truly stunning rich golden colour...I love goldens that colour:)
    Flyte looks to be doing well;)

19. springerpete

Thanks, I'm pleased with his progress so far. Cheers. Pete.

20. orkney

orkney PetForums Junior

He's stunning! (but then I'm biased, he looks just like Chester and I think he's gorgeous!!!)

J_fo89 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice