Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working Golden Retriever not eating

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GRowner, Apr 27, 2020.

1. GRowner

GRowner PetForums Newbie

Hi, We have a working Golden Retriever who is now about 2 years old (30-35KG), we had gradually moved her to 2 meals a day as she grew up which was fine for a while but now she is not eating normally and turns her nose up at anything in the morning. Everywhere I've read says they should be on 2 meals a day, is it normal that she only wants to eat in the evenings? Also obviously because she's refusing food in the morning the amount she eats seems about half as much as she should eat for her weight..

We were wondering if working Golden Retrievers go to one meal a day or whether this might be a health issue. She seems fine and active but she has been sick a few times, i'm not sure if it's connected though as she has been sick in the past occasionally, but it feels perhaps she's being sick a bit more frequently (a couple of times in say the last 10 days we've come down to her having been sick)..

This doesn't count the amount of times she's eating grass outside and being sick, which seems a lot more (in fact she never did that before). The more I write the more I'm convincing myself there's something not right inside, perhaps I should have her X-rayed? Any similar experiences or advice would be really appreciated.

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Doesn't sound right, but how long has it been going on, does she eat the other meal with gusto and what time is that fed?

Oh and what are you feeding?

3. GRowner

GRowner PetForums Newbie

It's been going on probably around 3 weeks now I think. We had fed her in the mornings around 7-9am and then evenings around 6-8pm..

I wouldn't say she eats with Gusto, no, she's nothing like other dogs I've had or met who usually rush in and gulp it down in seconds, she sometimes literally creeps towards it as if something's going to jump out of the bowl (!) and then she eats quite tentatively and very rarely finishes everything, it's almost like she's had a bad experience, i'm not sure what's going on and how to remedy it..

4. GRowner

GRowner PetForums Newbie

It's been going on probably around 3 weeks now I think. We had fed her in the mornings around 7-9am and then evenings around 6-8pm..

I wouldn't say she eats with Gusto, no, she's nothing like other dogs I've had or met who usually rush in and gulp it down in seconds, she sometimes literally creeps towards it as if something's going to jump out of the bowl (!) and then she eats quite tentatively and very rarely finishes everything, it's almost like she's had a bad experience, i'm not sure what's going on and how to remedy it..

5. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Has she been spayed or not? If not, when was her last season?

Is the quantity of food you give her what is shown on the bag of food? These are only a recommendation not an absolute and it may be she doesn’t need the quantity of food you are giving her now she is an adult. Whether or not she only wants to have one meal a day is nothing to do with her being a working golden as opposed to a show bred, but more to do with what she as an individual requires.

However periods of sickness as well as a lack of interest in food may indicate something more serious like an internal blockage or pyometra

rona likes this.
  6. GRowner

GRowner PetForums Newbie

No she hasn't been spayed. Her last season was a while ago so she could be coming into season perhaps, no signs so far although my family just told me she has been rubbing along on her bottom so perhaps that's a sign of her coming into season soon, or perhaps something else - maybe worms?

7. rona

rona Still missing my boys

If it's been going on that long then I think you should get it checked out

Torin. likes this.
  8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

If it's been going on a while and she seems unsure of her food then it could definitely be a pain or other issue. I'd also cute her breakfast in half, and feed on the floor, or a plate/mat etc, or even on the grass in the garden. Change the picture for her and see if that changes her behaviour. I'd definitely give the vet a ring and see what they advise.

9. GRowner

GRowner PetForums Newbie

Many thanks to you all for your help, I will give some of these suggestions a try..

10. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If shes rubbing her bottom along the floor that you have mentioned further down, then that is often a sign of blocked anal glands. The anal glands should empty naturally when they pass motions but they can get blocked, if they do they can become painful and if not manually expressed and emptied out by the vet they can also get infected and an anal gland abcess can even occur and rupture. If she is doing this regularly then it sounds like she needs them checked.

Other possibilities why she seems uninterested and almost wary of eating could possibly be a tooth or gum issue, common causes can be the sheering off of a tooth that exposes a nerve and causes pain especially when eating, a fracture that can be hairline and hard too spot can also cause a root tooth abcess to eventually form. Can you detect any swelling of the face and gum line anywhere.

If she has suddenly lost interest in food in general, is periodically being sick sick, and eating grass more them usually, it could well point some some type of gastric upset or discomfort.
    Possibilities may be some kind or internal blockage, depending on whether the blockage is partial or complete, or where it actually occurs symptoms can differ. So really that needs to be ruled out. Another possibility may be that she is getting some kind of acid reflux for some reason dogs can get it just as we can.

As there is a change in behaviour and symptoms that have been going on for 3 weeks now, personally I would get it checked out.

Only other thoughts, i would also get checked out is that if she has had a season within even up to the last three months, as she is an unspayed female, all be it a younger one, then a uterine infection may even be another possibilility. You can get an open pyometra (uterine infection) where the infection wlll drain and can look anything from pretty much season like to thickened and odd coloured, but you can also get a closed pyometra where there infection gets sealed in the uterus, with this type you dont get any discharge warning, and dont often know until the dog starts to show other symptoms of being unwell, which them progressively gets worse with more symptoms of illness occuring.

I would get her checked to be honest to be on the safe side.

11. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Off topic but lovely to see you @Sled dog hotel you have been missed.

Hope you are doing ok

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Sorry another off topic. Been tracking down SDH
    Great to have you back. Hope all is well with you.
    You’ve been missed and I hope to see you back again.

Apologies to OP. As you can see SleddogHotel is a VIP here:D

kimthecat, rona and lullabydream like this.
  13. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Yes more than a VIP... She's like the backbone of the whole forum and has been truly missed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice