Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working full time - Japanese Spitz

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nara.s, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Nara.s

Nara.s PetForums Newbie

n

#1 Nara.s, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome. I would say you are going to need to get someone in it is simply to long to leave pup. Can you come home at lunch at all ? If you are feeling anxious check out the puppy support thread. I use a dog walker and have a good trust of her being in my home she is running a business. I know it can be daunting but they are professional. Or what about doggy day care not always ideal but a suggestion.

Oh and we must have puppy pictures of the new bundle. Good luck lots of advice on this forum I found it really useful.

3. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I would say 7-10 hours is too long to leave her, the maximum amount of time my dog is left is 6-7 hours and that's not regularly anymore. It does depend on the dog though as to how much they can cope with. Would you consider a dog sitter (e.g. her going to someone elses)? Daycare too although you do have to be careful with these. These can be expensive as well if your doing it every day your working. I wouldn't use a pen personally as like you say theres a chance they could jump out. With my dog he is left in the kitchen and has full access to the space there. You could try leaving her in a safe room and see how she gets on? Maybe in this remaining time you have off try and build up the time gradually she is left and take it from there as too if she would ok left at home or if you need to sort something else out.

4. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

You can`t leave a young puppy alone for 7-10 hrs every working day! You will need to make some sort of arrangement for her in the day, either a dog sitter/walker or yourself by either reducing your working day, or taking breaks to go home to her. If you really can`t sort care out for her in the day then I`m sorry but it would be best to return her to her breeder and wait until you have more time to bring up a puppy. Lots of people work full time and have puppies it can be done but you really can`t expect a puppy to be left alone for up to 10 hrs daily!

NFC slave likes this.
  5. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Ah I didn't see she was a young puppy, sorry I just skim read. In that case no definetly not that long. You can build up to more hours as she ages but not now. You need to sort something else out now if your work hours are too long

NFC slave likes this.
  6. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Senior

I won't leave my adult dog for 10hrs leaving a puppy from any breed for 7-10 hours is simply unacceptable. I'm surprised the breeder think it's suitable home.
    You need to find day care or a dog sitter if you don't have friends/family who can help.
    If you can't find an arrangement the best thing would be to return her to the breeder asap .
    You can't leave her in a pile of feacies and
    Wee for 10hrs same way you won't leave a baby alone.

NFC slave likes this.
  7. Nara.s

Nara.s PetForums Newbie

Why would she be in a pile of faeces? She poos twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, both times that we would be at home. She would use a training pad for when she urinates. I am certain she won't left in a pile of anything.

I am currently looking into getting a dog walker to come once a day on the longer days and seeing if I can also work from home another day until she is older. I have a colleague who owns the same breed and he says he leaves her for 9 hours and she is completely fine, but she is older than Nara.

8. Nara.s

Nara.s PetForums Newbie

Thank you! This is all very helpful and reassuring. Unfortunately I work 50 mins away so cannot come home. I am looking to work from home on one of the longer days so she isn't home for 10 hours on her own and see if I can get a dog walker for the other day. That way the most she would stay alone is 7 hours and if the dog walker works out and she isn't okay with 7 hours, I can use her then.

Attached Files:

9. Nara.s

Nara.s PetForums Newbie

My employer is very good, they let me work from home for 2 weeks because I got Nara. Working from home is fine when necessary, so if she is ill/has vet appointment etc my employer is very relaxed about it. But yes, I am trying to work out what to do about the rest of the time.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

That's good ! Sorry, I meant to delete my comment , as i was typing it seemed you'd thought of that. Apologies.

11. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

It is really not a good idea to leave a pup for that length of time. Yes people do it and sometimes it works out in the end, but to leave a sociable animal on its own for that length of time, especially when so young, is not really fair. Certain breeds are generally more prone to separation anxiety than others, but dogs of any breed can suffer from it. The other thing you will need to bear in mind is that you are likely to come home to a lot of mess to clean up. Your pup may only poop twice a day when you are around, but if she becomes anxious then it is quite likely that she will poo a lot more, and it will be a lot looser!

Have you tried leaving the house yet to see how she is when you are not there? If you can get a camera to spy on her (you can get them pretty cheap from amazon) then this will give you a good idea of how she is when she is completely alone.

I would advise getting someone to come in at least twice during your working day, at least whilst she is young and cannot hold her toilet for very long.

Please let us know how you get on.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

She is as cute as a button ! Some dog walkers do puppy packages where they pop in a couple of times. Mine doesn't actually take my boxers out she plays with them in the garden.

13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Cute puppy, But I agree that it def sounds like too long to leave a puppy.
    Personally my lot get left up to 14hrs sometimes when Im working but I 'justify' this by the fact that its only overnight, just twice a week, they have company and access to puppy pads. Even then I made sure not to leave them for more then 4 hours until they were at least 6mths old and a little bit better adjusted to my schedule.
    I think you are going to need some sort of break for the puppy in the day, even if an adult would be comfortable with this arrangement its not fair to a puppy.

14. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

The only Japanese Spitz I have met were noisy and hated being left alone. Hopefully yours will be different.

I would recommend someone coming in at least twice a day, maybe three times if you are away ten hours. She will need some good, company and a wee in the garden. It would be better to have someone in for two half hour sessions than an hour whilst she is still a pup.

15. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry, but would you leave a new born baby for 10 hours on it's own so why would you leave a puppy? I would never Dillon that long and his over 8 years old, the longest we have ever left him is 6 hours and that was because I was taken into hospital.

16. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t leave my adult dog for that long. I am surprised a breeder would sell with this working pattern. Anyway, I would look at a daycare or dog sitter, not ideal but an option.

17. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I don't leave my adult dogs for longer than 7 hours a day without a break, so there is no way I would be leaving a puppy for that length of time all week. It's not fair on them. You need a serious re think of how you intend to meet the dogs needs going forward, because leaving a 9 week old for that amount of time is unacceptable. You need someone to look after the puppy all day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice