Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working from home with new pup

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Courtney Pearson, May 3, 2021 at 12:17 AM.

1. Courtney Pearson

Courtney Pearson PetForums Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm soon to be a new dog owner with a 8 week old miniature daushund , I currently work from home and work 8 hrs a day Monday - Friday , I work where I have to answer the phones. I have booked 2 weeks off work with my fiancè to help the new puppy settle in and so we can learn and get a feel for the puppies personality.

I have done my research and understand that puppies need constant attention and supervision. I will be working from home permanently so can always keep my eye out on the puppy.

I just wanted to know how other people have coped with working from home and having a minature daushund puppy and how the puppy reacts whilst you're on calls?

I appreciate all the feedback and advice

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I work from home with my two boxers who are adults so a bit easier. Is there any chance of staggering your holidays so your fiancé has two weeks and then you ?

I suppose it depends on the type of work you do are you glued to the phone ? Or are you doing other tasks? Can you move around? I tend to take boxer breaks but work later into the evening.

Puppy will need to go out to the toilet regularly. They are not very good at entertaining themselves. I would consider a pen in the room with you. Regular pup breaks where you play.

3. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I am working from home but don't use the phone very much. My dogs are adults and you can almost guarantee a cat will come in the garden or something else will start them barking as soon as I am on the phone.

With a pup I would give it regular toilet breaks and play times. I would also use a puppy pen to give it space but where it can't do any damage.

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF

Puppies are hard work, they need feeding four times a day for the first month or so that means toilet breaks after each meals plus lots more breaks until you get him/her house trained, then there is play time. As Boxer123, said can't fiancé have a different two weeks so that would give you a month to settle your puppy in.

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I can guarantee as soon as my boss is on teams absolute nonsense ensues.

6. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

I think you just have to guarantee that puppy will bark when you’re on the phone, or choose that moment to poop on the carpet, or find the squeakiest of squeak toys. This is a regular occurrence on some of our zoom calls - even the CEO had his dog find his squeak toy during a organisation-wide call haha!

Dachshunds in particular have an excellent bark on them and it may take months before you find the routine that works for you. And then everything will change a bit when they hit their naughty “teenager” phase anyway.

The pup will need to be in sight at all times when you’re working. Otherwise mischief, destruction, poop, pee and noise is inevitable.

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Are you trying to tell us that the lovely Sox and Loki are mischievous, I don't believe that for one minute :D

karenmc likes this.
  8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I can second this! Few are the phone calls I get through uninterrupted by at least 1 cacophany of frenzied barkng, they take their neighbourhood watch duties very seriously!
    And to be brutally honest dachshunds aren't the easiest to house-train.

9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

It’s hard to believe I know they have ruined many a meeting. Loki also likes to squeeze his broccoli throughout calls.

karenmc, bunnygeek and Happy Paws2 like this.
  10. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I work from home and have 2 terriers 1 is 5 the other 10 months. When the pup was small I divided my time between being in the room with him and leaving him in a large crate whilst I worked upstairs. At 1st it was actually easy as he slept a lot so I could do 2 hours upstairs, get my calls done then come down and see to him. It's when they get a bit older and more demanding it's more difficult. We have managed though, long lasting chews, frozen Kongs and raggy toys are my friend! Personally I think it's important that pups get used to not having their human around 24/7 yes they need a lot of attention early on but they also need to be comfortable on their own.

Courtney Pearson likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice