Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working Cocker Spaniel

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by thedogsmother, Jul 9, 2009.

1. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Does anyone on pf own a working Cocker? What are they like as a breed, What health tests do they need? what would you expect to pay for a 1 year old?

2. rona

rona Guest

Christines got one but it's only a pup

3. thedogsmother

Thanks rona, a friend is looking into getting one but she was told they are quite stubborn, every one I've met seems really nice though.

4. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

I own a working cocker, and she is fantastic but very smart and very very energetic. She runs rings around the other dogs in the park, likes attention and can be naughty if bored. She has been easy to train and is very affectionate. She needs an absolute minimum of 2 x 45 min walks EVERY day regardless of weather and this is a minimum.
    Are you planning on either working your dog, or doing agility or flyball? Working cocker really need something to help keep them active both phsically and mentally. If you can't commit to this level of activity/training then a show type may be better for you.
    Also, I don't know where you live but working cockers do need a bit more space and a bit more to explore than your basic common eg close to a country park or the country full stop.
    Health tests on working cockers are less common than show cockers, but if tested then the eye tests tend to be the main ones to look out for (can't remember what they are called tho sorry).
    Hope this helps

5. kenla210

forgot to say, a pup generally costs between £450 & £650 depending on girl/boy, location, health tested etc not sure how much for a one year old. Obv. If it is part trained as a working gundig then you would expect more expensive, if not then less expensive.

6. thedogsmother

Thanks Kenla210, yes it was very helpful, the dog isn't actually for me (for a friend) but I walk my dog Henrick for 2 decent walks every day and I agree he needs it whatever the weather (I got very wet today:() and my friend would be joining us on our walks. Would you say general daily obedience training and two good walks a day would be enough to keep the dog happy? I own a GSD who needs plenty of mental stimulation would you say a working cocker needs similar training/stimulation to a GSD?.

7. kenla210

They are bred to be very biddable, but as mentioned they are also very smart. daisy can be stubborn with my kids, but I think it is cos she doesn't respect them as being in charge. She tries it occasionally with me & oh (testing boundaries), but soon realises it's not gonna work - think the key is (as with any dog) to be consistent

8. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

my working cocker has never been stubborn! she gets 2 walks a day and is fine at home! she loves the kids is the best dog we have ever had, we are selling pups and they are 600 but that because of where we are and their colours. The health tests they have are hip, eye, pra and optigen tests :D

9. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

your pu that across better than i could.

That sound's about right sorry don't no about Gsd's so i couldn't compare:). The more you put in too a cocker the more your'll enjoy them, but too be honest that goes for all dog's doesn't it:D your boy's a looker by the way;)

10. kenla210

off lead and in interesting places with books and crannies to explore, puddles/ponds to splash in then yes.
    Daisy is only 11 months old, so we still just do regular obediance training and she is fine, but know I'm going to have to move it on to the next level soon - can't decide between agility, flyball or gundog training at the moment tho

11. Badger's Mum

Can i ask what colour's they are?

12. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

As far as I'm aware, the only health test required for cockers is the gonioscopy, there are no other health problems that require testing for. From memory, I think the hip score is a recommendation for the ABS, not a requirement, although thats across the breed as a whole; from what I have been told of the working cockers it isn't a problem.

One problem you might find is that many working cockers are docked, and as such you wouldn't be able to enter your dog into some of the KC registered events, including agility, if you were thinking of it.

From what I've seen of working cockers, they're like a little whirlwind, but look very, very fun, if you've got the energy!

If your friend needs any recommendations for breeders I can ask and find out for you?

13. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

there is pics of them on my thread bramble's diary,

and forgot to put that it also because of the vets bill was massive for her c section

14. Badger's Mum

Thank's i'll have a look:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice