Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Working Cocker Behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by goodwin50, Jun 24, 2010.

1. goodwin50

goodwin50 PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

I'm new to this but found the forum whilst searching for a solution my dogs recent behaviour. I hope you can help a little..

I have a working cocker spaniel (bitch) and she will be two in Sept, she has been very well behaved and very obediant for the time we have had her.

We had a little boy in February and she is fine with him and they love each other.

The problem we have at the moment is out on walks, she seems to be randomly going for other dogs. Not all dogs, some dogs she doesnt know and some she does know.. Theres no biting involved, its more noise and snarling but going for the dog..

It is more towards male dogs than fellow bitches..

Is this a form of protection over our son as it mostly happens to my wife when they are out walking during the day?

She is due a season anytime soon but this didnt happen last time she was going into season?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

2. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

Hope someone is along to help out soon as i have no advice, maybe be worth asking a dog behaviourist to see if there is a reason or pattern for her behaviour.

3. goodwin50

goodwin50 PetForums Newbie

Any suggestions, could do with the help.

Thanks

4. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Hi,

Congratulations on the baby boy :thumbup::thumbup:

Does the dog get along with the vast majority of dogs when out and about without the pram and child present? This goes for when both on/off lead.

What is the dog like with previously friendly encounter dogs when the child and pram are not present?

What is the dog's relationship like with your wife?

You might look a tad strange but what happens when the dog is walked with the pram but no child in the pram? Or what is the dog like if you are carrying the child at the time with no pram present?

What happens when you are all out as a family? Where is the dog walking i.e. are you pushign the pram and child whilst your wife walks the dog on a lead, is the dog off of her lead, what is the setup like and how does the dog react?

How does the dog react when visitors coem round asnd they fuss the baby such as grandparents picking the child up or havign him ontheir knee? Does the dog keep a watchful eye or does it not even bat an eyelid?

There are a fair few variables to consider here which will need to be trialled to see if it is the dog coming into season, the presence of the pram, the presence of the child, the whole protection of everyone or as it is only certain dogs then it could even be a dislike to how they are approachign the dog and nothign to do with the other things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice