Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Worker or show cocker?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kayleigh Stanley, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Kayleigh Stanley

Kayleigh Stanley PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

I’m looking for a bit of advice, we are looking for a cocker spaniel to add to our family. We have 2 children both under 5 and a cat. We have a large garden and live very close to large wooded area so ideal space for walking. Basing purely on looks we prefer the working cocker but I think a show cocker would suit us a bit more. Can anyone shed some light on working cockers as family pets?

I’ve seen prices of dogs have gone up a fair bit recently but can anyone advise on what I should be paying Ive seen quite a lot ranging from £1000 -£2500 what would you expect to pay?
    Many thanks

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF

I don't know much about Cockers but I'd go for show bred rather than working. A puppy from a working dog will be very hard work.

Kayleigh Stanley likes this.
  3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I have seen many show cockers who are just as likely to follow their nose and disappear into the distance as a working cocker, and most of the show types I've known and trained with have been pretty stubborn.

If you're looking at working cockers, my advice would be to avoid litters with lots of red in their pedigree as these will be field trial champions or winners and not heavily suited to a pet home.

Kayleigh Stanley and CheddarS like this.
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Cockers are great family dogs, I lived with one for a good while back in the 90's and he was amazing - his owner (my roomate) was a worthless dog owner, treated the dog like crap, and the dog was still the sweetest, nicest dog, biddable and adaptable. I've had a sweet spot for them ever since.

Whatever you go with, working or show, please research your breeder and the lines thoroughly. Spaniels of all types can be prone to a weird OTT type of resource guarding that can be even more dangerous in a home with kids. So definitely talk to your breeder. If they pretend it's not an issue or haven't hear of it, I'd proceed with caution if not walk away. Breeders should know their breed and know their lines.

5. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

Working cockers tend to be more 'on the go' all the time and need a lot of mental stimulation to keep them occupied.

A show Cocker can still be easily excited and very active but ON THE WHOLE is a bit less manic. There are always exception to any generalisation so you need to look closely at the parents and other relatives.

Don't forget you get more coat with a show Cocker-though you could always clip it off. My show Cocker is much more excitable than other gundogs I have owned and loves scentwork at which he excels. His mother had a gundog working certificate as well as being shown.

He came from an approved breeder for Hearing Dogs and I had evidence of the relevant health tests for his parents. This is so something you should be aware of and look for. Not just health CHECKS.

Eyes and kidney disease are the main ones.

6. Kayleigh Stanley

Kayleigh Stanley PetForums Newbie

Thank you to everyone for your replies I really appreciate the help. I’m sure I will be back with more questions

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

There are loads of working cockers around where we have a holiday home. They are all fairly nuts and a lot of owners say they had know idea that a working cocker was a different sort of dog from a show cocker and would not have got one if they knew. They also vary in size and shape enormously. I know one that is smaller than my miniature poodles and very long and lean and one from the same litter that is about border collie size and very solid. If you want a pet I would go for a show cocker though it might be hard to find one. Oh, I also know someone with show cross working and she is quite big and solid and much quieter than the pure working. I met someone with 2 show cockers and they are really not the same breed as the working cocker. there is very little similarity in either looks or temperament. We were admiring each others dogs, rare show cockers and rare real poodles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice