Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

work rant

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pa2k84, Aug 1, 2009.

1. pa2k84

pa2k84 PetForums Senior

I left me last place work 3 weeks ago. I gave my 1 months notice as in my contract but then my boss produced a tear off slip which had been attached to a letter i had signed agreeing to 2 months. No signature from my boss on the slip just signed and dated by me.

Well i was due to start my new job so told my boss very sorry but have nearly 2 weeks holiday left so will add that to the 1 month making 6 weeks but i was unable to give 2 months as i would loose my new job. Like she cared!

Wrote her a long letter giving all my reasons for leaving - did not want to write a letter wanted to talk to her but as i am no good on phones and i think things come across wrong and she was refusing to come down to the site i had no choice.

Wrote back completely ignoring all my points on the letter and telling me i could leave but will get charged money for anyone she has to get in to cover the fact i am not there.

Well received a letter this morning demanding £406 off me to be paid directly into her bank account or by posted cheque!

Does anyone know (will be trying to get a free consultation from solicitor when next off work) what she can legally do? If i am taken to court will i have to end up paying more than the £406? I do not have that sort of money, pocket money for her but for me that would mean no food, petrol, cat/rat food, hot water, phone etc. for a month. What would others do just ignore it? She also has yet to send my p45 which my new employer keeps asking for :mad: I left there the 10th July.

ok long post if you made it to the end then thanx! Good to write stuff down

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

rING CITIZENS ADVICE THEY CAN HELP YOU IM SURE I DIDNT THINK IT WAS RIGHT THAT IT BE PAID INTO HER ACCOUNT SOUNDS STRANGE TO ME.

3. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Im guessing as you signed and dated the slip, you can be held to the 2 months notice part of your contract but i don't understand why she's charging you money :confused: What sort of job was it?

Usually if you leave without fulfilling the proper notice and the company want to be pedantic about it all, they dock money from your final wages.

Think your probably right to seek legal advice, they will be able to give you all the info you need.

Good luck!!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

She cant legally with hold your P45.

As for the rest, if you signed that you would give 2 months notice, i think she is in the right. However, she doesnt have to be a cow about it.

5. pa2k84

pa2k84 PetForums Senior

she is strange! citizens advice were useless last time i rang them. :(

6. davehyde

davehyde Banned

tell her to do one.

she cannot withold a p45. it is a tax document not her property.
    inform inland revenue.

does yoyr contract of employment specificly state your terms of notice?

how long have you been there as that can have a bearing on it.?

but all in all tell her to take a hike and sue you for the 406.00

she sounds a right old cow.

Wrote back completely ignoring all my points on the letter and telling me i could leave but will get charged money for anyone she has to get in to cover the fact i am not there.

what crap, it costs her nothing if you are not there. she would have to employ someone anyway if she wanted cover so her argument doesnt hold water.

#6 davehyde, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  7. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

oH OK JUST A THOUGHT SHE SOUNDS A RIGHT BITCH. CAN SEE WHY YOU WANTED TO LEAVE. LOL

8. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ime sure thats not right the most she can do is stop any holiday pay that was owing to you.Is it a very big company? because it would have to be for them to even think about taking you to court and if it is then it would'nt be worth it for 400 quid i wouldnt worry about them going down the court route if i was you but would seek advice of some sort if only to settle your mind.

9. pa2k84

pa2k84 PetForums Senior

slip of paper signed and dated by me was referring to a pay increase. If i refused to sign the paper got told i wouldn't be paid couldn't win at the time.

I worked beginning of July upto 10th with no pay (which i am not surprised about) but she is trying to claim money from me to take me upto my, should have been according to her, leaving date 10th August.

Worked in a nursery so is claiming she is having to get someone in to cover the fact that i am not there despite the fact 3 members of staff (including me) left and they only replaced with 1!

10. pa2k84

pa2k84 PetForums Senior

Not a massive company no its a nursey but not a big chain only has 4 small sites plus a creche. Think if it does get pushed to court and i am forced to pay will offer £5 a month for the next few years see how she likes that!

11. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Not sure it's your responsibility to pay her staff costs....feckin cheek!!!

Think she's pulling a fast one...i'd call her bluff and tell her to take me to court for the money. If the slip was nothing to do with notice to terminate and doesnt actually specify that on it, she doesnt really have a leg to stand on.

12. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I wouldnt worry about it then too expensive for them to take court action and i do think its illegal to hold back a p45.

13. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I wuld offer to pay her £5-£10 per week or month. She cannot grant court action if you pay her, how ever little it is, I would even go as far to say £2 per week/month.

14. pa2k84

pa2k84 PetForums Senior

Thats what i am thinking as apparently thats very annoying! maybe £2.00 cheque each month from my account which only has 30p sat in it! see how long before she gets annoyed with all those bouncing cheques.

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Dont forget, your bank charge YOU for bounced cheques.

16. pa2k84

pa2k84 PetForums Senior

you know i dont care as long as she not getting my money

17. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Just ask her for some giro-cheques to pay her each week at the post office or offer her Paypal, or a £10 cheque from your per month. Don't let it bounce £38 charges (ouch)! (although you can can claim them back its lots of time and hassle).

Good luck!

18. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Don't pay her at all!!! I would go straight to CAB but at the end of the day, although you signed a contract stating that you would give 2 months...you are only missing that by 2 weeks. The most they can do is take 2 weeks wages from your final pay! You are not due her any money at all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice