Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Work Experience Interview

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gilly and Jess, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

Hmmm....don't know if it's the right route to be going down but I've got an interview in the morning with a scheme who will help me find some work experience in my area.....

My story...I've been out of work for the last 12 years and in and out of work for 8 years before that after injuring my back whilst nurse training. I prolapsed one disc and went for 4 years before anyone would believe the pain I was in and do an x ray. The long wait meant that there were 3 discs gone by the time I finally got surgery and I've now had 3 operations to try and sort it. The last one was 2 years ago and I still have problems.

Because I'm on income support I get interviews with the Jobcentre every 6 months so they can tell me what joys I have to look forward to if I look for work. My health problem is so unpredictable that I've never bothered until now, on the grounds that (a) employers are more likely to pick someone who's in work over me and (b) employers would look at the reason I've been out of work and think "nope, too much of a risk, not picking her...."

So. Last week I was informed I can undertake 13 weeks of work experience, to test myself and for employers to test me. I would receive an extra £15 a week on my benefit for working 16 hours a week (someone told me this might work out to a not bad hourly rate??!! Less than a pound an hour??!!), travel expenses assisted with, without it affecting my benefit. If my back fails me I can stop working and the £15 stops, but my benefit continues as normal.

9.30 tomorrow morning sees me at the interview with DISC, who will assist me in my "venture". And from the look of the job market at the moment, I'm in for fun even finding a position in the first place.

:confused: :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice