Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Work again...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Jun 2, 2010.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Once they have authorised a holiday... they cannot take it off you 6 days before you are due to have it can they?

Thats what work are trying to do, and I already had arguments and still had to work the bank holiday which cost me £38 to get to work as bf forgot to pick me up (which is a pain as we work in same place, and was just me and him that night)

2. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I don't think so not if it's been authorised. Hope you find somewhere better soon! I couldn't handle working somewhere liek that!

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Nope they shouldn't do. Is it your 'big boss' who's trying to stop it?

4. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

No they can't especially not if they authorised it and now you have something booked.

5. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

no shouldnt be able to do that to you, expecially as already authorised, unless of course they are prepared to pay you any money you may lose if you have already booked something.

6. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Charley, it depends on how long the holiday is for.

The general rule is that they must give you twice as much notice as the holiday you have booked if they need you to re-schedule your dates. There should also be a good reason.

You say that it's 6 days before you are due to begin your holiday. If your holiday is booked for 4 or more days off work, then no, your employer would be unreasonable in asking you to cancel the holiday that you have arranged. If it's for 3 days or less, then they might have a leg to stand on legally.

What's the issue? Why have they asked you to re-schedule your time off?

7. CharleyRogan

Basically because its Stocktaking, and we now only have 5 people on nights. My holiday is a week, but really 3 days cos that what my scheduled hours are, but they haven't actually spoke to me about it.... they left a note on the rota which I chose to ignore! And gonna say never saw it as didn't check hours next week cos I'm on holiday!!

Manager not coming in for stock take, and leaving some newbies on it, which is why they want me in, cos I know what I'm doing. He relys on me and my bf as we know we are doing but we can't work 7 days a week, and at the moment he put us on I do 3 days, and he does the other 4.... but suppose we can't whinge as we can't blame work for not seeing each other.

8. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

aye, just say that you didn't see the note.

apart from anything else he should have made sure your days off didn't fall on the stocktake, which he would have known the date of well in advance, or re-arranged with your WEEKS prior to the time off.

He shouldn't leave a note in any case, he should have discussed it with you face to face, as for all he knows you could have something booked which is unrefundable. There should be something in your employee handbook that goes over situations like this, if not try ugov website on employment law.

it is up to your employer to ensure there is enough f/t or time-served p/t staff around during a stock take, not you, even if he relies on you he needs to make sure that senior (i.e. supervisors or above) are around to handle things like this no normal permanent staff.

this is his problem for not making sure all this happened and for agreeing to give you holidays over the stock take. Also you might only have booked 3 days off but your holiday is for a week so he should give you the notice for a weeks holiday, not 3 days.

is your bf also off for this time?

9. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

I thought a boss had to be in for a stock take in my old jobs the boss had to be there as they where responsible for anything going wrong or people not turning up i would try and get a hold of your HR department yeah i know its hassle but your boss is taking advantage of you and your BF...... are you going to be paid the bosses wage for that night and be classed as the boss (if that makes sense)?

*Kara8

10. CharleyRogan

Nope he on, the Mon-Thurs, and stock take Fri-Sun so should of rota'd him there in first place, and not authorised me to be off.

We don't have supervisors on nights, just managers and sales assistants. I lost my phone which makes it difficult to get in contact but not even asked my bf for my other number so doesn't wanna contact me that much!

Anyone wanna give me a job? :)

11. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

I would serously get hold of the HR department ask them what the rules are on this you don't have to give specific names or such like just say you need advice as you feel you are being taken advantage of and that you feel your manager is unsutable for the position lol

I would really consider having words with him as you are not a manager and don't recive a managers wage so you are not resposible for his duties either.

*Kara*

12. CharleyRogan

I really think this manager is crap. He only just been promoted from a day supervisor and knows nothing of how we work.

He not on stock take because he was forced to work a weekend last week, as Me and Pete had it off together, and now won't work this weekend, so leaving 2 newbies, one of which can't even use a till on stock take!!!

13. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

Ok now we are getting somewhere he is new and has not got a clue how the real life works a manager is ment to within reason do the shifts needed could he not take the next 2 off and work this one honestly he sounds like a **** well you know what you do you take your holiday and if you are phoned and asked why you are not there you explain that you were given your holiday and that your boss was working as far as you were aware :D

*Kara*

14. CharleyRogan

He only does one weekend in about in about 50!!!! He hates weekends and doesn't share em out, I have to battle for weekends off. The morale is so low :( Having trouble finding another job :(

He has all the days off where something is happening e.g. football, festivals, and anything he decides he wants to go to.

He makes out its cos he has kids, but its basically he got a bit of power and he makes his own rota. No one else has kids on nights as the other 2 people left!

Another thing that annoys me, he will stand at my till and go 'Charley, theres someone who needs serving' when he is standing there! He beats the other manager as he was a perv, but not by much! Its all about helping one another and he doesn't seem to get that.

He does no work and just brings stuff for us to do, then sits in the back reading new planagrams.... omg... I would make a better manager!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice