Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Woodland tales

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tabelmabel, Jun 12, 2019.

1. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Back in my favourite woods with murph and tills today. Tills was brilliant for the first 40 mins or so today; thought we might make it all the way round without incident but not quite.

She had started to up her excitement levels and then i met a couple with a lab (on MY path, in my wood, how dare they!) Anyway, being a friendly kind of person, we ended up having a long chat, during which tills calmed right down and just ended up hanging about us, waiting for me to move on.

That couple did tell me their lab had flushed out a deer just in the direction i was heading for.

Anyway, off we went with till back up to full speed. We were just about to exit the heavily wooded bit and rejoin the main path, when murphs took off. And then i saw a deer in amongst the ferns. I whistled, and murph appeared first but was cut off from me by a stream (he really doesnt like getting his feet wet) so he disappeared back into the ferns.

Next tills comes flying past me. I called her and she looked back at me, and was about to take off again, but she did in fact come to me.

Which was very good really, considering she was so excited. I had taken a bit of roast beef left over from our sunday lunch.

By the time murph found a way back to me that did not involve getting his feet wet, all the beef was gone! They were both back quickly really, considering the distraction. Tills inside a minute. Murphs 2 or 3 mins but he went a long way round.
    Think i will try with till on her own next time, see if we can get right round without her getting over excited.

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

They are good I can't let the boxers off in the woods I've been caught out with deer and they do chase.

tabelmabel likes this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Not that good, but they have come across so many deer, i know pretty much how they will behave. Murph is far more likely to chase, but he isnt a fast dog after an initial burst of speed, and he gives up very quickly. Tilly is the most likely to disturb the deer as she hurtles along right through the undergrowth, and she is very excited when she comes across them, but she tends to run about in circles where the deer was, rather than chase.

So, as long as we are well away from roads, we should be ok. And neither of them can jump fences. Im confident neither of them would chase over any great distance (famous last words!)

4. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

If we come across anything remotely wild animal like, Woody hides behind me! He doesn't chase anything living really. Very occasionally , if he's very excited, he will chase one or other of our cats down the garden path.

A couple of days ago, might've been Tuesday I think,we were out nice and early for our walk, turned down into a little kind of alleyway and came face to face with an enormous fox, he was absolutely huge!, and stunning looking, really red, with a huge big bushy tail, very impressive animal!
    Mr fox stopped dead in his tracks, as did Woody and I, and he just stood there looking at us, he can't have been more than about 10 feet away from us. He looked at us for what felt like ages but must only have been a few seconds, then off he wandered, very slowly into the hedgerow!
    While we were standing there, me holding my breath, my heart rate through the roof, wondering what to do, I didn't want to turn my back on this huge fox, Woody was hiding behind my legs! For a big dog, he's a proper fairy! :rolleyes:

tabelmabel and niamh123 like this.
  5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Been down at the forest today for a couple of hours - first 50 mins or so with a friend and her dogs, but she couldnt stay too long today so i carried on further once she left - Tills really was very good today. She does check in with me very regularly unless she catches a scent that really exites her. Brittanies apparently are wired to go round the handler in a clover leaf pattern with the handler at the centre, and i think that is probably what till does - though i only get the chance to see it in a large area. She definitely circles round and appears in front, to the sides or behind me. Anyway, no problem at all. Weather was lovely, perfect temp for walking, didnt need a jacket. Had a good couple of hours on various trails and really enjoyed it. Murphs has come back a bit forested and conked out behind the chair. 2 hrs is a bit far for him, that will be him now til tomorrow morning. 20190522_115821.jpg

Murphles' bottom after a forest walk

FAW56, Bugsys grandma, magpi and 2 others like this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Arrived at the woods this morning to find 6 cars and a council van! Extremely unusual on a monday morning. Or any time, in fact. Soon found out why, when we rounded a corner and found a wildlife watching group, complete with tripods, cameras, binoculars all just setting up. Whistled the dogs back and decided to go another way, just in case Tilly ruined their chances of seeing something lesser spotted.

Was on my own almost all the way, until i came upon another bird spotter in the woods, looking for woodpecker. He was actually very nice, and seemingly unconcerned about tilly tearing through the ferns around us, so i asked him about the chances of her disturbing any ground nesting birds and he said none, because there arent any in the wood at all. So i asked him what it was that makes her so excited in these particular woods and he said rabbits, most likely. And deer.

Well, i already knew about the deer. I have never seen rabbits there but it would make sense as to why she is so excited. He thought her chance of catching one remote, having observed her crashing about the ferns, they will be back down their burrows!

Anyway, no deer seen today and no lost dogs. All good:)

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Had a brilliant time down in the forest today. This is a much larger wood, where tilly finds certain areas tricky, rather than the entire forest. I know the bits where she cant be trusted; most of it she is fine. We even managed to get some training in for class tomorrow.
    Very difficult to get any pics, as they are so fast. Cant get any vids on either, as nothing will upload to you tube since my tablet updated its system. Will see if my son can sort it later. 20190619_102400.jpg 20190619_101041.jpg 20190619_101046.jpg 20190619_095451.jpg 20190619_095153.jpg 20190619_095055.jpg 20190619_100124.jpg 20190619_095251.jpg

Attached Files:

Bugsys grandma and lullabydream like this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

:p Picture 7 had he had enough?

9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Ha ha no! That's him rolling on all the pine twigs and bracken for camoflage!

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

He is brilliant love all that hair.

tabelmabel likes this.
  11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Omg i actually managed to cure the uploading problem by myself!! Murphs shows the effectiveness of green lipped mussel on his hips with this one

AlexPed2393 and Bugsys grandma like this.
  12. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

Oh wow, they were having a lovely time! It's great to see dogs playing like that and just being dogs.
    He certainly doesn't look like he has much of a problem with his hips there does he. Good to see. :)

tabelmabel and Boxer123 like this.
  13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I love the flat rug look on Murph!

tabelmabel and Boxer123 like this.
  14. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

You're right - im so pleased with how well he is doing. Especially since he was already showing arthritic change at 10 months and that's him 6 and a half now, still living life to the full. That's just with supplements too, no painkillers. Am sure his skeletal frame helps a lot too:)

15. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Here's another from today with till doing well on recall in woods

16. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

In the frozen wastes of the North ...

tabelmabel likes this.
  17. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Lol OH has just said the exact same thing! It does look like snow doesnt it!

18. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Was it hail stones?

19. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

No - was lovely and sunny. It's just the sun shining on the fallen pine needles

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  20. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum PetForums Member

They look like they had a very good time jumping about, the woods look amazing you're so lucky to have somewher like that to walk them:)

tabelmabel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice