Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wondering if this is the cause of Millie's problem?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bellini, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

So the first night we tried Millie on chicken only. Yum Yum Yum.

The next morning (yesterday) I realised I didn't have quite enough cooked chicken for 3 meals so I supplemented it with a teaspoon of rice.

In the morning she ate it all, but when I got in last night I notice that her midday and afternoon meals she'd only picked at the rice but had devoured the chicken.

So last night I just gave her chicken on its on as hubs had made up a huge batch.

This morning just came down to give her some breakfast and she'd been sick, but strangely just rice. So now I'm wondering if her tummy isn't tolerating rice.

In her purely pouches the ingredients are:

Ingredients:
    Chicken with Beef: Chicken (Min. 50%), Beef (Min. 4%), Sunflower Oil, Vitamin and Mineral Supplements, Tapioca Starch. Chicken with Lamb: Chicken (Min. 50%), Lamb (Min. 4%), Sunflower Oil, Vitamin and Mineral Supplements, Tapioca Starch. Chicken with Liver: Chicken (Min. 50%), Liver (Min. 4%), Sunflower Oil, Vitamin and Mineral Supplements, Tapioca Starch. Chicken with Duck: Chicken (Min. 50%), Duck (Min. 4%), Sunflower Oil, Vitamin and Mineral Supplements, Tapioca Starch.

Tapioca is rice isn't it???

and this is what's in the JWB

Ingredients:
    White rice (min 26%), white fish meal (min 25%), maize gluten, potato protein (min 9%), olive oil, fish oil, vegetable gravy, tomato pomace, chicory extract, carrot, cranberry extract (min 0.05%), DL methionine, lysine hydrochloride, taurine, threonine, zinc methionate, yucca extract, rosemary oil.

hmmmmmmm - what do you think? Today and Friday she's just going to have plain chicken and we'll see what happens over the weekend.

Also, thanks for the tip about the water. It never occured to me that could be a cause (she has only recently started taking water from the bowl). I'll try boiling it from today.

Are there any complete kitten foods out there that do not contain any rice in them?

2. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

Tapioca isn't rice, it's a different grain altogether. Why are you giving your cat rice? Cats are obligate carnivores and have no need or use for high-carb grains such as rice. How old is your kitten? You'd be doing her a favour if you could give her the chicken raw with a little bone. Depends how old she is... If you want a decent canned food, try Almo Nature. The purely pouches have a more promising list of ingredients (apart from the tapioca, that is), but the JWB has far too many things in it that cats really shouldn't be eating, such as tomato and cranberry. Try and avoid food with too much grain or vegetable matter or any if possible. Cats simply don't need it.

3. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

her kitten is on chicken and rice just for a couple of days, a bland diet, to see if it settles her tummy. as i've said on the other place, just stick with the chicken if the rice ain't working out.

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

All I know about sensitive tummies through trial and error is Misty cannot have chicken at all.

She cannot have grains, she canot have mince, or cat milk, or rubbishy Felix/Whiskas just Hi-life fish and digestive control biscuits. If i try any other we have cow pats.

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i am very lucky my can and will eat anything including brussel sprouts which they stole at xmas

6. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

thank you everyone.

Well, so far so good. Nothing's come out either end yesterday but Millie is bouncing around like a loon so I know there's nothing serious wrong.

Keeping her on chicken today and going to go to PAH on Saturday to have a good look through options but I quite like this: "Natures Menu" that doesn't seem to have grains:
    Natures Menu Pouch Kitten Food with Chicken in Gravy 100gm 12 Pk-Single serve-Pets at Home: Buy Pet Supplies from our Online UK Pet Shop

Natures Menu Pouch Kitten Food with Chicken in Gravy is a complete, balanced, nutritious kitten food that has been specifically formulated to meet a kitten's unique dietary requirements to support its growth and development. Made from all natural ingredients and a minimum of 71% real chicken, to provide your kitten with the essential vitamins and minerals to help support your kitten's active lifestyle.

Ingredients:
    Chicken, Minerals, Derivatives Of Vegetable Origin, Various Sugars

Typical Analysis:
    Moisture 81%, Protein 11%, Oils and Fats 4%, Fibre 0.2%, Ash 2.5%

Has anyone used this brand before?

7. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

yes, tis good :D

8. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

It has chicken in it though.

Please try fish for a few days. Just to shut me up! :D

9. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I use natures menu all the time - fantastic stuff.

If she has a sensitive tummy she may do well on a raw diet?

10. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh yes, Mistys kittens loved this and the new one does too. Its a bit annoying it's only chicken/liver chicken/duck chicken/etc chicken. This is just the kitten one though.

11. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

Well, after 4 days yesterday we finally had poop (one extreme to another!!!) but Millie seems to be doing well so far on the natures menu. It stinks to high heaven but she loves it (we started on it on Fridaynight).

I'll give her until the weekend and see if things improve. Thanks ladies for the input. xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice