Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Women's liberation

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, Aug 13, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

Do you think women's liberation went too far?
    Not on the pay front as that battle is still being fought, but maybe in the situation that men find themselves in now.
    I think that a lot of men just can't be themselves anymore

2. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

:I never thought I was in any way inferior or incapable of doing anything I wanted to so I never felt like I was inferior etc. I know that there are obvious differences and men can do things that women can't and vice versa but I have always assumed that if men and women work together then we have everything covered. It works in my little world anyway. :D If anyone has tried to imply I can't do anything because I am a woman then they had to duck quickly!:D

I know in the bigger picture there are still problems - inequality of pay etc that still need addressing, but I think that sometimes it is a way you approach/think about things.

(Not sure if it makes sense but it did in my head!:wink5:)

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I think it went too far some women seem to have completely gone into men are inferior and can't possibly do anything and the world would be better without them. It was a good thing and obviously there are inequalities but I thought ti was about becoming equal not to demonise men

4. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

**don't shoot** but i think a lot of women want it all ways...they want to be able to do everything a man can do and yet still have doors held opened for them so to speak.

Personally i think there's some thing better left to the male population. Yes i know that we women are capable of doing 99.9% of things men can do but in all honesty, why would you?? I don't want to see female builders with the bun cracks showing ;) even though it's not such a hairy one LOL for example. Women don't seem to want to be women anymore, we're too busy vieing against man to prove the point that 'we can do that', taking on the high flying executive job but behaving like a b*tch to show we mean business and we're to be taken seriously.

While i believe we entitled to be treated equally but it shouldnt have meant we lost our femininity to get it.

5. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I agree summerxx Im not bothered about admitting the fact that there are some things men do better than women and vice versa - and I think at heart all women want to be treated like a lady and some put on an act, however in certain work places you have to be quite tough as some of the men would trample you if you dont show em that you are not gonna take no ****;) mind u saying that women can be soooo bitchy in the workplace! i much prefer working with men tbo:eek::Dxxxx

6. bird

bird PetForums VIP

The only things I believe womens lib are/were good for was getting equal pay for same job and equal promotions. If a woman wants to be a builder etc then if shes capable of the job then why not. But the way men are treated these days is just as bad as the way women were treated years ago, two wrongs do not make a right. I do not believe in this thing where you should have a quota of personnel as women whether in your own office or parliament, women should be there on merit not to meet some goverment target. Personally I enjoy being treated like a lady with doors opened for me etc. However if anything needs mending/building in our house its me that does it hubs is not a hands on person except with the drill its the one item I'm not allowed to touch :rolleyes: its a man thing :D

7. rona

rona Guest

I've worked with men better, can't stand the bitching and gossip :(
    Men can't win these days though, they have to be all things, and we know it's proven most men can't multi-task;)
    I don't think I've met what I would call a real man for a very long time ( I don't mean Neanderthal) Just a proud, confident, capable man, most seem to worried about doing the wrong thing these days, and I think that is sad

8. rona

rona Guest

Yes, a friend of mine that was in the fire brigade said that they lowered the acceptance standard, so that more women could join :( how awful is that!!!!
    How must the men have felt, that just failed the tests a few months earlier?

9. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

yeah its true, I much prefer men to be men,,,if you know what i mean :):)

10. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I do what would be described as a mans job, I am the only woman in my department at work, and the first female colleague any of the guys have experianced. I also sit on the same payscale. For this i am grateful to WL.

however, I have respect from these guys by not pushing the womens lib crap...I KNOW i cant compete in terms of physical strength, or often speed. But technically i excel, which is why I have pushed into a more techy hands off approach.

Women that push for equal rights, yet still will report a guy for treating them like one of the lads annoy me. If you want to be seen as equal in every way, accept that they will take the P***, banter, wind you up, swear etc. I get all the crap the guys give each other, and im over the moon by it. For months they feared me! Thinking they would get reported for harrassment, sexism or whatever. They can say what they think, if i dont agree, thats their problem, they should be able to be themselves.

11. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Sorry but you just reminded me of when I worked on the pots, most of us were women and we gave the men a fair bit of grief. A young lad about 18/19 came to work there and reported the nx bench to me to the management for sexual discrimintation, but luckily they didnt take it too seriously

12. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Rona i think this will probably mean more to the older person than the younger.I for one look back with fond memories of when women stayed at home and the man did the work.To this day i believe 100% its a mans place to provide for his wife and family.:D

13. christine0808

christine0808 PetForums Junior

I worked for a big tile company and i got a small amout of men asking for male members of staff just because i couldnt find a clear sealant lol.
    but i could lift alot of tiles and weigts up to 40kgs at a time so i know women are more than capable of being equal to men.
    but in a younger female enviroment can be quite bitchy,men on the other half speak their mind

14. Savahl

Savahl Guest

This is a good point, the operators at the factory eat the apprentices alive lol. Most of them are afraid to go out to the lines hahah

15. rona

rona Guest

:eek: I worked really hard in the 1970s to be accepted into a male job, I don't think it is a mans place to provide any more than I think women should do housework. I think it should be worked out between two equal people however they wish to lead their lives. Not dictated by some out of date preconception

16. bird

bird PetForums VIP

To a point I'm with you, but those that want a career should be allowed to have one and those that dont should not be pressurised into thinking they are missing out. However finanicially people can no longer do this, some because they want their hols abroad and others because they have no option.

In my experience the women shame the men into silence :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice