Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Women! Do you walk your dogs in the dark?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by alphadog, Jun 29, 2009.

1. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I'm not talking about road walks, where there are street lights, houses and cars passing by - I'm thinking more about off road, where you can let the dogs off the lead.

I've just come in from a late walk (12.30am) along the cycle path behind my house. It's hardly in the wilds, but it is through feilds and wooded areas. Weirdly I always feel safe doing this, I've never been one to let the news or society bully me into staying at home after dark, how dare the few baddies out there ruin my freedom?!

What about everyone else? How do you feel about it?

2. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Fancy popping round to mine? "scardy cat man stuck in house with dos in need of midnight rescuing" :D

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Yep all the time, doesn't panic me in the slightest if anything I prefer it ;)

4. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

doesnt bother me, not really any street lights or houses down my road let alone cars, x

5. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Go on, go on, go on.... nothing is that scary, unless you're planning on walking through Avenham Park (no idea where you live so that might be a lost joke!!)

6. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

i dont live in the sexy south :D:D

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Nope I walk mine as far as the primary school, on lead, for their last walk of the night if its dark. But usually we have been a big walk about half 6 (tonight it was 3 hours long!) so all they need is a quick leg stretch and pee so we just go as far as the horse to say 'night' with a polo/bit of carrot/apple.

x

8. pennywise

pennywise PetForums Member

Not in the pitch black coz Im scared of the dark :blushing:
    Mind you, there arent many street lights down the lane so I must be getting braver :p
    Like Poisongirl tho they get a longer walk before dark and a morning stretch too :)

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I always take Sky to secluded areas after dark :)

10. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Sadly no, I used to until a lady was raped just 100yds from where I live :/ now the OH wont let me do anything but on lead walks along main roads :(

11. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Yeap I'm afraid I do. In the winter by the time I get home from the horse it's usually 7 o'clock so it's morning walks in the dark and evening walks in the dark!! I go in the morning to a cliff top walk (acres of fields so I'm not actually walking along the cliff tops), I have a HUGE torch and about 1000 sheep to keep me company and of course the 5 + dogs so I don't really worry..that walk is pretty much dead in the summer so I doubt I'd ever come across anyone at 6am on a winters morning!! In the evenings we go to the nearest beach which has a long prom over it with lights so I go there when the tides out so Sidney can get his ball fix, if he doesn't chase his ball for at least an hour a day he doesn't feel like he's had a walk and will be bouncing!!!:rolleyes:

All the dogs have these bandana's from Equafleece and the little jrt has a hi-vis coat so I can find them!

[​IMG]

12. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Very rarely I need to take Monty out in the dark, one good walk a day is enough for my chap. If he does need to go out, I stick to roads with lights mainly because I'm very clumsy and likely to fall over tree roots and such even with my torch.

Hill street blues comes to mind ... Lets be careful out there :)

13. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

I'm the same, I walk a few dogs belonging to disabled people through the woods or industrial estate after theres nobody there. These dogs include a rather vocal rottie and a doberman, I pity the man who tries to attack me when I'm with the dogs!! lol

14. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Nope dont go out at night around here.. even tho i was born here..to scarey:eek:hmy:

15. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I tend to stick to road walks after dark :eek: although often take a side trip through a little bit of the park :rolleyes: Harvey gets a long walk early morning and another before it gets dark so the last one of the night is just for a quick pee and to 'read the newspapers'! :D

16. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

I have to say that I stick to the road if its dark. The walks we do in daytime are on quiet woodland type roads, and always seen a bit creepy in the dark! Also though, on one are of one of our walks, a young lad sadly comitted suicide not so long ago, so im not keen on that bit in the day time never mind night.:(

17. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Def no after dark walking from me. I feel nervous passing the drunks and loons shouting to themselves in the daytime never mind in darkness.:eek: Where I live police tape and sirens are quite a common site and my dogs are so non threatening. Maybe if I had a more physically imposing breed Id feel abit safer at night.
    *daydreams about Dobermann puppies*

18. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Nothing bad has ever happened here even though it's a pretty rough area at some parts. Mum takes Cheeko out most the time anyway but I hate when she goes out when it's dark and meets someone and talks to them because as the time goes on things go through my mind. It's only round the block she goes and there is cars, streetlamps etc but I still worry. When it's dark and we have the puppy I don't think I'll feel safe going out in the dark even with mum so I think I'll be taking the dogs long walks before it gets dark.

19. rona

rona Guest

If it's dark, I prefer to walk in the fields or woods, roads are far more dangerous, that's where people are!!
    British wildlife are no threat unlike the human race

20. Gil3987

Gil3987 PetForums Senior

I just stick to bits with street lights at nite, nothing really happens in our village, but still you just never know who could be lurking about.

I have an akita who is the biggest wimp ever lol if he hears a noise then he will try to hide behind me lol and he proved he is a wimp when he slipped his collar and stood well back when my bf was jumped at the weekend while out on a walk with himand that was during the day lol. so even that doesn't always help lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice