UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1561 - 1580 of 1696 Posts

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
And another voice silenced because we're not allowed to say certain things, discuss certain things :(

I like Ricky Gervais' take. He jokes about trans people along with everyone else because he wants to be inclusive - so he includes the trans community in his jokes too.

Or better yet, Aayan Hirsi Ali's take that if you are afraid of offending that means you don't see the other person as an equal, you don't think them capable of handling a difference of opinion. It's condescending.
I watched the latest Ricky Gervais stand up show the other night ... OMG so bloody funny!!

Personally I think jokes should be made about everyone, no-one should feel they are so fragile that they are exempt. I do have a dark sense of humour which I do appreciate some people don't but at the same time a joke is subjective & what one person will find offensive many others will find funny. If it's meant in good humour then I honestly don't see the problem but ....

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I've been reading this thread because, admittedly, I know little about 'women's rights' and what affects them. I tend to avoid the news, so I've been using this thread to gain knowledge and different perspectives. I want to be more educated on it, I want to have enough awareness to educate my daughters' on various issues.

There's been lots of posts that I haven't agreed with, even more that I don't understand :oops:, but they're all valid and relevant (imo at least :Bag).

I hate the idea of censorship - subtle or not. I think part of the problem with the internet is it's near impossible to interpret meaning behind the posts. With a thread such as this, it's hard not to take everything at face value - it's a serious topic being discussed. However, lots of people use humour as a medium to communicate a message.

Anyway, thems my thoughts. Probably irrelevant :Hilarious

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
I've been reading this thread because, admittedly, I know little about 'women's rights' and what affects them. I tend to avoid the news, so I've been using this thread to gain knowledge and different perspectives. I want to be more educated on it, I want to have enough awareness to educate my daughters' on various issues.

There's been lots of posts that I haven't agreed with, even more that I don't understand :oops:, but they're all valid and relevant (imo at least :Bag).

I hate the idea of censorship - subtle or not. I think part of the problem with the internet is it's near impossible to interpret meaning behind the posts. With a thread such as this, it's hard not to take everything at face value - it's a serious topic being discussed. However, lots of people use humour as a medium to communicate a message.

Anyway, thems my thoughts. Probably irrelevant :Hilarious
Exactly or to change a mood if things get heated or just to raise s smile. I honestly don't think @Sairy meant anything derogatory by the post at all. It was just a funny pic of her lovely cat. I hope you do continue to post @Sairy, it is a shame if you don't contribute (If you want to ) :)

As I said in earlier post, I actually think this thread is a good example of a serious issue being discussed without getting personal so I hope it continues.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Exactly or to change a mood if things get heated or just to raise s smile. I honestly don't think @Sairy meant anything derogatory by the post at all. It was just a funny pic of her lovely cat. I hope you do continue to post @Sairy, it is a shame if you don't contribute (If you want to ) :)

As I said in earlier post, I actually think this thread is a good example of a serious issue being discussed without getting personal so I hope it continues.
At risk of this coming across in the wrong way - I think sometimes it's good for people to throw caution to the wind and say things that could cause offence. When people speak with caution because they're terrified of other people being offended, ideas, thoughts and views go unheard. If they're not voiced, they remain unchallenged and the person misses out on an opportunity to grow.

I'm not saying it's ok to be horrid for the sake of it. I think it's a real shame for folks to be scared off (or decide it's just not worth the aggro) because something they've said is met with hostility before a dialogue has opened up to find out why that person thinks that way.

That's just me anyway. And I realise I've gone off on one AGAIN and this has nothing to do with women's rights. Or maybe it does - does it count as a piece on free speech lol? Sorry for the tangent

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts
I think we've discussed this briefly on this thread - Brittney Griner, the WNBA player who has been detained in Russia since February.
There is a lot to unpack, the fact that she has to play overseas during the off season because they simply don't make enough money as the male NBA stars, the fact that there has been so little news coverage over a US citizen being wrongfully detained, that she's still there after more than 3 months...
And you have to ask if it's because she's a woman and a lesbian that no one seems to care?
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/13/spor...-state-department-meeting-spt-intl/index.html

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
I think we've discussed this briefly on this thread - Brittney Griner, the WNBA player who has been detained in Russia since February.
There is a lot to unpack, the fact that she has to play overseas during the off season because they simply don't make enough money as the male NBA stars, the fact that there has been so little news coverage over a US citizen being wrongfully detained, that she's still there after more than 3 months...
And you have to ask if it's because she's a woman and a lesbian that no one seems to care?
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/13/spor...-state-department-meeting-spt-intl/index.html
That's terrible. I must admit I'm not a sports fan so wouldn't know who she was but even as a person caught up in this political conflict I would have thought I'd been aware of her but I can't remember seeing anything.

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
That's terrible. I must admit I'm not a sports fan so wouldn't know who she was but even as a person caught up in this political conflict I would have thought I'd been aware of her but I can't remember seeing anything.
There's been quite a bit about her in the media, but I think it's been overshadowed by the release of Trver Reed and of course the war in Ukraine.

Reactions: Cleo38

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts
That poor woman!! How utterly horrible. And how incredibly strong of her to pursue it. I hope she gets some justice!

·
Mongrelist
6,163 Posts

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts

·
Registered
11,656 Posts
That's a good point about how many people don't even realize if they have a cervix or a prostate, but people do know if they're male or female.
I was talking to a 20-something woman the other day and she didn't realize that only men have prostates.
I remember shortly after having my first child, hearing a man loudly threatening to sue the maternity home for injuring his new born son. I was later told that he didn't know that the "injury" he was ranting about was actually the baby's umbilical cord

·
Registered
16,428 Posts
That's a good point about how many people don't even realize if they have a cervix or a prostate, but people do know if they're male or female.
I was talking to a 20-something woman the other day and she didn't realize that only men have prostates.
I know, it sounds obvious but not always. "People who have ovaries" sounds so odd & broad. I also know alot of people skim medical stuff (myself included at times) so may only really notice words that are relevant, woman/women definitely being one of them!!

And I go back to David Lammy (Labour MP) who thought trans women could have a cervix after 'procedures' o_O:rolleyes::eek::D:penguin

But it does demonstrate that we are not all aware of our biology &/or terminology

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
One of the main things people picked up on with the NHS website was the inequality (yet again). If you search for prostate cancer the website includes the following:
"The prostate is a small gland in the pelvis and is part of the male reproductive system."

"The chances of developing prostate cancer increase as you get older. Most cases develop in men aged 50 or older.
For reasons not yet understood, prostate cancer is more common in black men and less common in Asian men.
Men whose father or brother were affected by prostate cancer are at slightly increased risk themselves."

So, yet again it is just women who are being erased - there was no mention that this can affect trans women, or even people with a prostate - it was all about men. Inclusive language is only inclusive if it applied equally.

I am currently working on writing some manuscripts with results from clinical trials of a breast cancer drug, and I am very careful not to just use women or females because this does affect men as well, but if you are talking about something that affects either male or female specific anatomy then you should be able to use the correct biological sex.

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
Hopefully, knowing Lesley Regan as I do (well, not personally, but from her work) I'd be surprised if she'd allow herself to be berated. You don't get to be a female Professor of O&G without being seriously tough. She is also the Chair of the charity Wellbeing of Women - which still rather bravely has women in it's name ;)

1561 - 1580 of 1696 Posts