Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Womb infection/open pyo- worried vet hasnt given strong enough medication. Advice please?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by MissMamaCatz, Jul 6, 2017.

1. MissMamaCatz

MissMamaCatz PetForums Newbie

Hello. My darling BSH has been diagnosed with a womb infection/open pyo. 2 visits to the vet this week. Second vet was much more knowledgeable then the first. He took a good look at her discharge etc. Told me that we should continue with the 1 weeks of antibiotics before considering spaying.

He prescribed 50mg of Noroclav plus Loxicom.
    2 tabs per day of the noroclav. Loxicom once per day but only needs to be given if she is in any pain. (which she isn't shes eating, playing ect)

Ive read a lot online. People saying they where given higher dosages to treat it- others saying 50mg twice a day (like myself)

Bare in mind we spotted the symptoms from day 1 on the Saturday evening- she went to the vets first thing monday morning.

Has anyone had any experiance with a open pyo who can advise as to whether she needs to be on stronger Antibiotics.

Thanks all.

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Here it's diagnosed by ultrasound, Alizin injection given 3-4 times (days 1, 2, 7 &14) along with clav 21 days & baytril for 14 days. Clav up to 75mg.
    No need to rush into spaying, many girls with proper treatment go on to carry a litter.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am not a breeder. My experience with Feline Pyometra was a breeder friend's cat with open Pyo who was prescribed Noroclav for 2 weeks prior to spay surgery. Perhaps as the infection was spotted early in your cat a week's course of ABs is considered sufficient?

4. MissMamaCatz

Thanks all. This is whats concerning me. Your experiences have been that 1 cat was given 2 weeks worth and the other 75mg plus injections. (see what i mean?!) So confusing.

Im half wondering whether to ring them up and ask for a higher dosage. She hasnt had an xray or ultra. His words where 'its a womb infection' 'open pyo'

What would everyone suggest? Shall i trust the vet or call up and ask if the dosage is correct as othet people are telling me it should be higher etc? Somethings niggling me about this one.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I don't see a problem with you phoning and speaking diplomatically to your vet about it. Just ask for reassurance that a one week course of ABs is enough to treat the infection. At the end of the day although it's your vet's decision as to what dose to prescribe, most vets IME are reasonable about discussing their reasons.

6. spotty cats

Does your vet have experience with breeders? If not I'd find one who does, or you'll end up having no choice but to spay her

7. MissMamaCatz

I have spoken to him. He insisted 50mg would be sufficient. Fingers crossed all ends well. If it doesnt i shall have to spay her. Id rather not risk another course of meds incase the infection progresses prior to these Antibiotics not working. Thanks all.

8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

From NOAH:

"The standard dose rate is 12.5 mg/kg twice daily"

So that's a dose for a 4kg cat. How much does she weigh? And has he taken a swab of the discharge for a culture & sensitivity? If it doesn't start clearing up very soon I'd be wanting that sent off.

chillminx likes this.
  9. MissMamaCatz

Yes shes 4kg! Sounds correct then. If it hasnt cleared up by monday shes getting spayed come tues. She was my first ever queen. I adore her so i wouldnt want to risk losing her.

10. spotty cats

Higher doses are often used depending on what you're treating. With proper treatment there's no need to rush into spaying her, used to be the only option was to spay but treatment is often successful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice