UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there likely to be any problem from a dog swallowing a large piece of bone?
Adam just ate his chicken wing tip by swallowing it whole! (thats quite large for a Chihuahua). Silly s**, couldnt wait to finish his dinner before barking at a strange dog outside!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
488 Posts
When Rufflea has swallowed his whole (too busy to chew!) he brought it back up and then ate it again... Dogs can be so gross :rolleyes:

So, I'm sure he'll be ok, if its ok size wise it'll stay down and if not it'll come back up for a second go...

·
Registered
23,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
phew, thats made me less worried!:D
I mean he usually eats his half a wing by crunching the bones up and swallowing it whole coz he cant seem to rip the flesh apart. But this is the first time Ive seen him eat it without chewing up the bone.
As soon as he heard the dog bark I just knew what he was going to do, little toerag!!LOL:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Will quickly say that a dog's digestive process starts at the stomach. The whole jaw/throat system is simply a chute to get things down to the stomach. The jaw works to cut up pieces small enough to go down. Generally speaking if a piece of food isn't sitting right a dog will regurgitate it, chew it again and re-eat it (which can be accompanied by white froth and look disgusting). The process for humans is totally different where the digestive process actually begins in the mouth with saliva.

The only real concern I would have is potentially if a dog new to raw swallowed a large bone piece. Even this I would expect to be vomited up (probably during the night) as the dog's system seems to recognize it's inability to digest it in a timely manner. Well that's what's happened on rare occasions when transitioning our dogs at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.