Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wolf in sheeps clothing.......

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cocobwoy, Aug 12, 2009.

1. cocobwoy

cocobwoy PetForums Junior

Well our Springer, Benji is now 3 1/2 months old

He now attends dog training which is all good and well this has really improved him when he's out walking with us.

The only problem is he is fine at dog training just a bit scared of the other dogs and the trainer doesn't see his real behaviour

He is becoming really agressive at random moments especially towards me, I could be walking through the room and he would grab my leg with his paws and either bite me or try to hump my leg :(

I tell him no and push him away but yet he keeps coming back, when he does actually listen I praise him but this just gets him excited again and he starts to bite and bark at me.

Prime example now, he has just come in from a walk with my partner and I am sat on the sofa on the computer, he has jumped up and bit me then barked.:confused:

I have tried several things like a shaker, saying no, shouting ouch but nothing he just comes lunging back at me.

Can anyone suggest anything because it really is getting to the point where my arms, legs and hands can't take any more biting :cursing:

2. cocobwoy

The only way to stop him is to put him in the kitchen and shut the door, he can still see us as its a glass door and normally falls asleep, but he is not learning from this

You wouldn't think this face could cause so much grief

Photo027.jpg

3. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

i cant give any advice on this but mine is 22 weeks now and he has never done that up to yet anyway

4. cocobwoy

Anyone the biting is getting worse really putting a downer on the whole house

5. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

HI

He is still a baby so don't give up hope, but you do need to take control. He sounds jealous. You need to set boundaries. I know that this bit is probbly boring or already been covered, but check his diet including treats and chews. What is he being fed, when? How much exercise? Then if all that is clean and ok start the new training. Have you tried dismissal? You are the boos, you talk to the dog when you want not the other way round. You praise him when he does something you asked him to do, not the other way round. Some people say biting back, lol, but I hate the taste of dog lol. But turning your back, and removing him from your company are great deterrents so you are doing the right thing :)

I know you must be feeling desperate but first I would look at the simple stuff, diet, too much energy, too many colourings or additives, check the ingredients. Exercise, gentle but lots, that makes a massive difference

6. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

Meant to add, he is of course teething too, so lots ofsafe puppy chew toys aswell.

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

doesnt sound to aggressive to me to be honest, my springer cross did the same at around the age he'd sit there then suddenly try and eat you

A quick Ouch really high pitched and pushing him away worked pretty well with him, and then saying Ouch zeb no bite!

i think hes more then likey trying to play with you as he would his siblings, rather then being aggressive

8. cocobwoy

Thanks for the advice guys

I never thought to check his treats, what do we need to look for?

We have tried the high pitched yelp but that just gets him my hyper as does turning your back and ignoring him, normally followed by a bite on the back leg.

I have given him a little bite back lol and like you say doesn't taste nice and again he thinks were just playing, at the moment the only think that calms him down is putting him the kitchen where he tends to lay down and go to sleep lol.

I think he will grow out of it eventually but just wanted to know if anyone had any techniques we could try, I don't want to do anything nasty to him but I know a lot use the spray/electric collars, whats the crack with these? Good or bad

Thanks for the advice so far

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice