Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Woken up with a fat lip...!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by r_neupert, Jul 1, 2009.

1. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

Think Indy must have snuck out last night and went to the pub and got in a fight... woken up this morning and she has a big fat lip!

I'm not in a rush to take her to the vets, will give it a day or so to see if the swelling goes down - she doesn't look in pain (although she is hard as nails), i've had a quick look and she was quite happy for me to do that - looks like a human type ulcer with swelling around it. Still eating and being merry... just looks a little silly...

Thinking maybe it's a swollen cut? Any other ideas? Best course of action?

2. r_neupert

Just to clarify, Indy spent pretty much all week in the vets 2 weeks ago with carpet in her tummy - hence not in a huge rush to take her back! If it's something that happens and will pass, that's fine. I'm just not keen to get her tummy filled with meds again!

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Could she had been stung or bitten by a bug?

You can give piriton to help, but always ring your vet for advice in regards to dosage.

Keep an eye on it, and keep it clean. They can sometimes get infected.

4. animallover111

Hi just a thought could she have been stung by a wasp/bee?some sort of insect bite?our sharpei once got stung on his tongue,we had to take him to the vets and he was given antibiotics.

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I agree with Nonnie, it could be a bug bite x

6. animallover111

thinking the same!

7. r_neupert

I'm going to get my camera and take a photo of her face.... i do feel sorry for her yes... but this is priceless...

Sorry Indy, i love you all the same....!!

I am intrigued how you keep a dogs mouth clean though!! Mouthwash ;)

Attached Files:

8. animallover111

Is it the swelling on the right hand side?it does look very swollen.

9. r_neupert

Yup that's the one... not sure how well it comes out, but if you look square on at her you can definately see it

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is this ulcer/bite on the inside of the mouth?

11. r_neupert

Yeh it's on her top lip, where the lip meets the gum just on the lip side of the fold. Just had a quick look again - it's a little pink bump with swelling around it.

She's just hanging out munching on a teddybear right now...

12. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Keep a close eye on it. You dont want it to form an abscess.

Obviously keeping it clean will be impossible :D

Just a thought, could she have munched on something that has pierced her skin? It could be a foreign body. It the swelling hasnt started to go down by this afternoon, ring your vet for advice.

13. animallover111

It already looks very swollen in the picture i know when Vaunny got stung by a wasp within minutes his tongue had swollen up two/three times its normal size we were worried to death,though he still hasnt learnt he still tries catching them especailly now in good weather!

14. r_neupert

However much we try to stop it, she does like to pick up twigs/full blown trees. We do take them off her, but i think she's just a stick lover (i know it's dangerous though we do stop her). Wonder whether she may have got a cut from that...?

It does look like a little bite though.

Have been putting some ice cubes in her water to cool it down, hopefully that'll help swelling.

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oscar is like that. No matter how much i try to deflect his attention, or correct him he still grabs stick, branches and trees. He seriously injured the back of his throat once, and also popped his tonsil out of the pocket it sits in. He now has what looks like a lump in his throat.

All you can do is monitor her. If it gets worse, i honestly would seek medical advise. The area is it located in, can be problematic if it causes an abscess/infection.

16. r_neupert

Certainly will - have 2 days off with her, so happened at the right time...

Will keep you posted - may look at human allergy tablets and get vet dosage advice this evening if it hasn't reduced, seen a lot mentioned online.

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My vet prescribes piriton, and i was given it when Alfie had a skin reaction.

18. animallover111

Our sharpei is on piriton daily (along with other tabs)ours is from the vets not sure if it the same as human but it says on our label Piriton 4mg i tablet three times daily!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice