Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wobbly Great Dane

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Spannerdyson, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Spannerdyson

Spannerdyson PetForums Newbie

Good Afternoon All,

Before I start, I have read the post about no medical advice and completely understand, I would just like to hear people’s opinions & any advice they may have if they have experienced a similar situation.

We have a 5 year old Great Dane, she has no health issues at all. Saturday night we came home, she got up to see us, and she couldn’t walk without falling over. If she were a human, you’d think she was drunk or drugged.

This carried on most of Sunday, she didn’t eat, she just wanted to lay down. We took her out for a last little walk in the evening, and although wobbly and partly falling over inside, she then decided to run and jump around, but then went back to falling over once back inside the house. She has been to the vets, they’ve suggested a stroke, but they really don’t know what it actually is. THey have ruled out Wobblers disease as it has come on top quickly.

Has anyone else experienced this with a Great Dane or other large breed of dog?

Today she does seem better, she walks outside without falling, but a slight occasional wobble. She’s happier in herself, tail wagging, and she is eating food.

Anything is welcome

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Will tag @O2.0 as she had a Dane and knows a fair bit. Also @Sled dog hotel who has a lot of dog medical knowledge.

Hope your dog continues to improve, such a worry aren’t they

Spannerdyson likes this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I would go back to the vet and ask for more tests. Or simply ask for a second opinion.
    Wobblers can present in different ways, ruling it out without doing specific tests is a bit rash IMO. Especially in a breed so prone to this condition.
    It could also be vestibular disease though five is rather young for it, but worth looking in to.
    And of course there are a host of neurological conditions that could lead to these symptoms.

But I would definitely push for more tests and a diagnosis as with many of these conditions, the sooner you start treating them, the better the prognosis.

4. Spannerdyson

Thank you for your help! Much appreciated.
    They really are, and I’d just like to get as much info on the possibilities as I can really. She’s still a little wobbly today, but better than she was.

5. Spannerdyson

Thank you the advice, she has an appointment to go back tomorrow so will definitely push for further tests.

kimthecat and O2.0 like this.
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Did the vet prescribe any steroids or anything?

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Good Luck for tomorrow, hope they can find out what the problem is.

8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Hope they can find out whats wrong . Best wishes.

9. Spannerdyson

They gave her a steroid injection at the vets on her first trip.

O2.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice