Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cazg1983, May 9, 2010.

1. cazg1983

cazg1983 PetForums Junior

I have been a cat fosterer for 18 months and have enjoyed every minute. After my last cat went this weekend, I got a call asking if we will take an abandoned mother with 4 one week old kittens. I said yes straight away but I'm slightly apprehensive!

I have never looked after proper babies but I'm told that i should just leave the mother to it. we are putting them in the back room and have made a little area for mum and kitties, tucked in the corner under the desk for a bit of privacy. I will put some pics on soon as I'm sure they are going to be adorable.

Any tips or help will be much appreciated. I have spent the entire day researching kitten and mother care! I just hope the mum copes with the move and the new surroundings, sure that must be very stressful to move so soon after giving birth!

2. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

You don't really have to do anything different to fostering older cats, maybe just feed her a bit more often.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

3. $hAzZa

$hAzZa Shan

Yeh the mother will know what to do, I wouldn't worry too much:)

Will we get to see pictures of the foster kitties when they arrive?;);) x

4. cazg1983

cazg1983 PetForums Junior

thanks,

they are doing really well, I have had them for a week now. I will post pics on here asap. They are soooo gorgeous. The mum is brilliant. Very trusting already and comes out of her box to see us and lets us pick up the kittens without bothering (we only take then for a minute as advised by the charity we work with).

They are 2 weeks old today and are getting very active already, trying to climb out of the box - they are still a bit to unsteady to manage it yet but dont think it will be long before they are destroying my house!

5. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

aww how wonderful and well done you for taking them on, people like you are invaluable in helping animals in need.
    Looking forward to seeing pictures, bet it will be hard to let them go when the time comes!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice