Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Window guards?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lillylove, Jun 6, 2010.

1. lillylove

lillylove PetForums Member

My kitten fell out of a 1st floor window yesterday, luckily unscathed! :eek:

It scared the life out of me, and I am definately going to be more careful with the windows and doors, it was just really really hot yesterday.

Anyone have any good suggestions as to something I can put up at the window so I can still let the air in?

Thanks

2. Tje

Tje Banned

I do... but it's difficult to explain. Easy to make though...

gimme 10 mins and I'll make a photo and post it.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

4. lillylove

Thank you! I found them but they are really quite expensive, I was wondering if I could make something myself that is easier. Failing that there is no price put on the cat being safe and I will buy the ready made ones!

I also have balcony doors which never get opened because she climbs out there and was thinking about some bamboo or something

5. Tje

Tje Banned

this is what we have in one room, just a mesh panel that you buy at any DIY store, cut down to size with pliers... and it's attached to the window frame with just 3 little screws with a plastic discs on them (see second pic). As you can see I made a "flap" so as I can open and shut the window (see 4th pic). The flap is fastened with tie-wraps which act as hinges. The mesh on this wondow is 5cmx5cm so not suitable for small kittens. But it is VERY sturdy.

I have another solution in my kitten room... I'll make a new post with those pics.

Attached Files:

6. Tje

Tje Banned

this is the kitten/foster room. Same idea but the mesh panelling is smaller (1cm x 1cm) and I also wanted mosquito netting on this one to stop beasties getting in, so the mesh paneling is secured onto a wooden frame and the mosquito netting is just stapled on. It's attached with rabbit-hutch locks. I have to kinda pull it out to open and shut the window. Not as handy as in the other room.

The mesh panels aren't expensive (and they last forever!), but an even cheaper solution is a cheap wooden frame with chicken wire stapled on to it.

Attached Files:

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Mesh. Get it from Wilkos :)

8. Tje

Tje Banned

this pic shows what I have to do to open and close this particular window (the first solution with the tie-wrap "flap" is much easier to make and much easier when you open and close the window)

Attached Files:

9. Tje

Tje Banned

I have mesh in my own bedroom, and I trust my own two cats with that (its attached on to the window frame with very strong velcro)... but with the fosters and the foster kittens... well, the mesh netting... it doesn't support much weight... once I had 4 kittens hanging on net meshing and the whole thing started to collapse, so that's when I turned my house into a Wormwood Scrubs lookalike, lol.

10. lillylove

Thank you, thats given me some really good ideas. Will get down to the DIY shops tomorow

The balcony/french doors are more complicated. Im thinking the only thing I could get is perspex as its slippery

I can't put mesh over the whole doors (which open IN wards) because there isn't enough frame at the top to secure it, and they recess into the room...
    I have a juliet balcony (ie just metal railings against the brickwork/windows) so if I cover them in mesh or panelling the kitten can just climb up it with claws.
    Perspex seems to be expensive, I need to give this a good think!

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh dear :lol: I think I'll be doing the same when Cotton's kittens come along!

12. Tje

Tje Banned

balconies are tricky... have you looked at the cat proof netting you can buy on zooplus. It's quite pricey, but it is strong and is cat-proof! There is a metal fiber woven into this netting, so even if they do climb it, it won;t break (and one of my cats at that time was 10 kilos) and they can't chew it because of the metal reinforcements.

If the doors open in the way, this should work aslong as you attach it to the outside frame. I had one of these balconies in an apartment in another country, and had cat-proof netting on that. I'll see if I have still have the pics and post them.

Perspex is hideously expensive. (pity cause it is good to work with)

Look on ebay at aluminium meshing on a roll... not cheap, but again it works great on a balcony and doesnt rust or block out light.

LOL, I have moved house so often (and continually had foster cats and kittens) I am a bit anal when it comes to cat-proofing :eek:

13. coco-flo

coco-flo PetForums Junior

HI if you go to flatcats on google it will bring up this site, and they charge you £40 for 2 window gaurds, i have them for my house and they are brilliant. Just type it into the search bar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice