Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Willows progress following vet today

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by WillowT, Apr 25, 2017.

1. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

so..... 24 days since we changed willow to the light version of her food.
    We weighed her at the vets today and she weighed 22.2kg......two weeks ago she was 22.3kg...... and 2 weeks before that she was 22.9 kg
    So...... she has lost 700 grams in 24 days. my previous thread 'is she losing too much too quick' was obviously just water weight and now she is evening out... I worked out she is losing about 29 grams a day on these figures.

Felt slightly overwhelmed in the appt and after......
    Willow is a lively little thing so imagine the horror when the vet tells us that by letting her up on the couch and the bed we are enabling her to do those behaviours..... and that obviously we have to weigh out the risk with regards to her hips and letting her do those things and that her hips could become worse by letting her get up.
    Know I am not completely stupid and obviously realise this..... however, it just made me feel like a bad doggie owner. Willow is a part of our family and I couldn't imagine a life with her where she would stay on the floor all the time..... she enjoys her cuddles.
    Willow was also quite vocal in the vets today! Not sure why but my husband was tending to her to try and calm her down and the vet just said...... she is acting like that because you are showing her attention.... her enabling her to be like that.... again felt really bad and that this point thinking 'god, what does he think about us'.... normally if we are talking at home and she is trying to get our attention we ignore her and carry on speaking and within a few minutes she is laid down and occupying herself with something else. I think it was just because we couldn't hear him very well so my husband was trying to help in that way.
    I asked for more advice on appropriate amounts of weight loss and time frame..... to which he said.... well they are like people ...... everyone is different and it's finding what works for her etc yet in the breath he said if she needs a more calorie controlled diet if she isn't losing then prescription food could always be an option.
    It just all felt stressful.....
    I burst into tears when I got home.
    I thought 700 grams over 24 days was ok.... I worked out it is a 25% reduction in food. From his replies I cannot tell whether it's too slow or too fast.

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

sounds like your vet was having a bad day so don't beat yourself up she is your dog and you love her

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I have had a bad experience with a vet before, and it really upset me like you, but as Bobbie says I had to chalk it up to them having a bad day.

I personally would lower her food slightly more if she was mine, and if I was seeing any sign of hunger then fill meals up with veg. However by lowering meals to maybe a 35% reduction, as you may have been slightly overfeeding to start with, then I think she will be fine. You as owners will just presume she's more hungry as she's on a diet.

WillowT and Bobbie like this.
  4. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

So sorry you had such a bad experience, he sounds like a control freak to me. Can you change to a different vet? I think I would have told him that my dogs quality of life is just as important as the length of it. As you might know Indie our rottie has elbow dyplasia to both elbows with pretty severe arthritis as a result, she also has arthritis in her knees, this has been going on since she was 13 months and she is now 5. Our orthopaedic vet advised us to try to keep her weight down and also assess how much exercise she can cope with and adjust up and down according to how she does. To us her quality of life is the most important thing so no I'm not going to make her miserable by half starving her, when she is hungry she is a grumpy old mare :D We let her on the sofa and the beds and we do let her run about off lead as much as possible although obviously at times we have to restrict things like chasing her ball or letting her run with Colt. I would say as long as Willow is losing some weight keep on with what you are doing but be vigilant and let her carry on enjoying being part of the family.

WillowT, Lurcherlad and Bobbie like this.
  5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Was just thinking Bracken is very vocal in the vets not barking but general rough collie talk if the vet said about me allowing him to do it I'd say yes so what he talks to everyone.

WillowT likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'm sure some owners are a real pain in the neck for the vet but all animals are different and I know that me comforting Jack actually settles him so I wouldn't take much notice of what he says tbh ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice