Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

William/Wuzzle

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jaxb05, Jul 7, 2009.

1. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

He has arrived. He is quite traumatized - understandably. He is soooo over weight. Gosh - huge. They gave me his indoor house. So I will let him sit in living room with me for an hour or so and then let him have a run about. I am going to have to get this boy to lose a lot of weight. How on earth do I do that besides restricting his food? I will get a photo of his as soon as he is feeling a little less upset. If anyone has advice on the best way for me to have the little man lose weight - please feel free. I will get him to the vet in two weeks - I have to wait until I get money again. Hopefully they will give me advice.

I will get the 4 foot high collapsible fence ordered Thursday. I want him to get out in the garden daily - for as long as I can manage. He needs all the exercise he can get! Do you think it is OK for him to be in the back and meet Pickles through her run? I am worried about how big he is. Poor little fella - must have been fed constantly.

Jacqui.
    p.s I have not changed his name - his owners call him Wuzzle too.

2. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

He needs to lose weight gradually.

Id gradually change his food over to lite pellets over the next few weeks, give him as much hay as he wants, its important you never starve a bun, he's probably not have much exercise and been way over fed hard food. He has to have a balanced diet, and like i said gradually.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive had a fat bun. It takes time, but you can get the weight off of them.

I changed mine onto Excel diet, and he has just an egg cupful once a day, and 24 hour access to hay. No carrots, no treats, nothing with high levels of sugar or carbs.

I also make him work for his food. His pellet mix is placed in a treat dispensing ball, to keep him active, and make what little he gets last longer.

Exercise is also important of course. They are quite happy to sit and veg out, so you have to entice them to move around and be more active.

Norbert was 2.5kg, hes now around 1.5kg. He has a waist, can run full speed, can jump about 2ft, and binky in his own odd little way. He has stunted legs, so will never be able to truly binky, but he seems happy enough, with his weird little head shake and bottom flick.

4. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Dreamer loves the treat ball, forgot to mention that!

Tinks was overweight and shes not too great at jumping but she can really move now!

5. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Thanks both of you. Where would I buy one of those balls Nonnie? I will try and get the diet excel tomorrow. A egg cup ful seems so little for his massive body. :eek: Apparently he doesn't eat hay very often. I will try and buy one of those balls pronto. If you can let me know where to get it Nonnie. Many thanks for your advice.
    Jacqui

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Norb looked like a little rugby ball with tiny little legs sticking out. He couldnt roll on his side which he still tried to do.

Took about 8 months to get him to the weight he is now. And although he appears roundish, my vet doesnt really think he will lose anymore weight, and that his general covering is pretty average.

I think he just has a bit of excess skin now. I could make a whole other rabbit out of him.

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

He will eat more hay now his hard food is being cut down, you can get the treat balls from pets at home or pampered pets x

8. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

You can get one of those balls from pretty much any pet shop, i have them for all of my buns, the giants have a dog one, because the others are too small for them to move around and everyone else has rabbit ones. I think they are made by rotastac for rabbits.

*Heidi*

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Snacky Rolling Treat Ball For Rabbits & Guineas Pets on eBay (end time 14-Jul-09 09:30:35 BST)

He wont eat hay if he's used to sitting infront of a bowl of hard food all day. Thats how Norbert got so porky. He refused a lot of hays at first, and now only eats the scratch and newton pricey stuff.

I dont the size of Wuzzle, so im not sure on the amount of food to offer. Norb is a rather small Dutch. It doesnt seem much food, but they dont need a huge amount if they have good quality hay, and regular fresh food.

I use the Nina Ottossen brain training toys for Norbert now, as he is so food minded, and will go to great lengths to get food.

10. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Thanks again. I will try and bus it to the pets at home tomorrow.

11. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

my work ordered in 6 treat balls for me at 72p each they are perfect! Especially for rosie, shes started to lose weight :D

12. hazyreality

I can do that too :p because we have suppliers who do pet stuff, I order it from there! I get hay, dog food, rabbit food, wild bird food all from there, will have to have a look for the toys :p

*Heidi*

13. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

haha i get all my stuff from work including my dog crates and hutches

14. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

I ordered the ball from ebay. Thanks. Wuzzle had a wee time running about. He didn't spend much time out - and he seemed knackered. I've left the cage door open for him to come back out. I took a few photos of him. I will d/l them tomorrow. He didn't seem just as massive when I saw him out - but he is still a BIG boy.
    jacqui

15. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Hyjacking the thread a bit but Hazyreality your Rascal is spitting image of my Charlie. I thought you'd stolen him for a minute there.

16. hazyreality

very similar arnt they!! :p there is also another rabbit on here who looks quite like Rascal, cant remember who owns him or what his name is tho :eek:

And Rachh's Lola looks just like Kodi(rip) its uncanny isnt it!

*Heidi*

edit* His name is Norman :p

#16 hazyreality, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  17. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

my lolas a BEAST ;]

18. hazyreality

so was Kodi :p she was a chunky munky with an attitude - plus a missing toe and a chunk out of her ear! but she really was great!

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice