Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Will your dogs walk with anyone else?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jobeth, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I was just curious as these are my first dogs and my sister had a retired guide dog so it arrived perfectly trained. My oldest dog will hardly leave my side and when I meet up with family, although he likes them, they are just holding the lead as he always moves back to walk to my heel. When off lead he runs in a circle straight back as well. My 1 year yorkie is much better and will walk with them. However, if they take her too far she also digs her paws in and refuses to move. Is it just something that all dogs do?

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

If I am there then no, my dogs wont really walk with anybody else and will try and get back to me. If I am not there then they are ok but a friend has walked them in the past and they heard a gundog whistle and one ran off thinking it was me whistling, I think it gave my friend a bit of a fright!

If they are walking with somebody else and I move away then they'll kick up a fuss trying to get back to me.

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

From the house, yes - they're anyones!

If I'm there then I would like to think all except Benj would be loyal to me.

Leanne - are you sure Jed would kick up that much of a fuss :p

4. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Yes, I'm sure they would go with near enough anyone. However, they are definitely bonded more to me than to anyone else.

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If someone they didn't know attempted to take them, either from the house or from me whilst out on a walk, no chance!

Not sure about someone they knew - I suspect all except Alfie would go if they knew the person very well.

6. sskmick

sskmick PetForums VIP

My dog Duke will walk off with anyone. :rolleyes: tbh I'm pleased about that because last Sunday we were out all day and my son came round to check on the pets and to walk Duke.

My Aunt's dog Arthur a German Shepherd x (both are now deceased). He wouldn't walk with me, he would walk to the bottom of the drive then it was a question of encouraging him every step of the way to a certain point (next door but one) then no chance he would lead me straight back home. He wouldn't let my Aunt out of his sight. Never known a dog to be so loyal tbh.

7. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

No, Jed would kick up no fuss at all, he'd throw a party I think! But you know what the other 2 are like - need to live in my pocket :rolleyes:

8. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I was at dog training with Molly and the trainer had her GSD out... she asked one of the helpers to put him away as she had finished the demo, and he slipped his collar to come back to her. Such loyal dogs.

9. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

Raven walks anywhere with anyone rather willingly!

Rossi however will not. If I am there then people he knows can hold the lead, if not he tries to get home the whole time. My sister let him off once and he ran straight home to me :/ lol

10. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Kes will with people she knows and trusts. My parents dog will not walk with anyone outside the family.

11. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

I suspect ninja would but I would be reluctant.

Rory would go with anyone but if he felt his master was possibly left behind he dragged his heels something awful. The amount of times I had to practically drag him up the road (didnt carry treats about then ;)) if we had been for a pint and I came home before hubby, felt awful, or hubby had 'stop off' on the way home I couldnt keep walking I had to hang about and give the game away :(

12. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

When I'm there they all check that I am still with them, refuse to move if they are taken too far ahead or in a different direction.
    If I'm not there then they'll go with anyone

13. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Left alone with someone and we're not there, they're fine. I once took them both to a christmas special training class, and there was a girl without a dog so I let her take Bonnie, and loaded her with treats, and Bonnie was a very good girl for her, she didn't look at me once even though I was in the same room. Amber is not so much of a traitor lol!

14. Scabbers

Scabbers PetForums Senior

I anyone walks off with him even my husband whilst on a walk he turns into a balastic missile and im the target!

If im not there then he is ok (i think)

15. Prowl

Prowl Guest

Millie would wet her pants if someone came to the house to walk her :(:eek:

16. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Vaccinator

I don't think Dief would with anyone outside the family... and I wouldn't allow it.

17. salemsparklys

salemsparklys PetForums Senior

If my 2 know someone they will walk with them, but no idea if they would go with a stranger:confused:

18. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Mine wont... They allow my daughter to walk them if I go away for the day, but she often walks with me ...anyone else and they refuse.
    Even a friend who is a regular visitor who gives them treats and has had dogs of her own , they let her put the lead on she walked out of the house and then when they realised I wasnt there the brakes went on and they would only come back indoors.

19. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I know mine won't walk with strangers as I met with a friend I hadn't seen in in a while and they would move if I moved and stood still if not. She had to give up. I'm sure she is better as yorkies have such a rep for being snappy/yappy I spent much more time getting her to be ok with strangers especially as she attracts attention with her size. My other dog will even turn his nose up at treats from strangers. He takes them and when they turn around he spits them out. He is definitely what I would describe as loyal.

20. Stardi

Stardi PetForums Junior

Yes he willwalk with people he know, but he will jump and try to turn back to me the first meters when we separate. He also gets Very happy when he gets to se me again.

I dont know how he behaves with someone he doesnt know.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice